The United Nation’s International Organization for Migration (IOM) has said no fewer than 140 migrants bound for Europe drowned off the coast of Senegal when their boat sank.
The boat was said to be carrying around 200 people at the time of the incident last weekend.
The boat caught fire and capsized on Saturday, shortly after leaving the town of Mbour, the agency said.
About 60 people were rescued, according to reports.
It is believed the migrants were attempting to reach mainland Europe via Spain’s Canary Islands.
This route from West Africa has grown in popularity since 2018.
Saturday’s incident was the deadliest of its kind anywhere in the world this year, the UN said.
“We call for unity between governments, partners and the international community to dismantle trafficking and smuggling networks that take advantage of desperate youth,” said Bakary Doumbia, IOM’s representative in Senegal.
According to the Spanish government, more than 11,000 arrivals have been recorded in the Canary Islands this year compared with 2,557 during the same period last year.
A previous peak, in 2006, saw 35,000 migrants arrive in the archipelago, the UN said.
At least 414 people are known to have died along this route so far this year according to the IOM. A total of 210 fatalities were recorded on the same stretch in the whole of 2019.
Copyright: News Central TV
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from News Central TV.