19 murder defendants in Guinea’s Boiro case are given a 30 year jail sentence

Guinean activists from "Balai Citoyen Guinee" take part in a protest outside the constitutional court in Conakry on September 19, 2018, after the president of the high court was dismissed last week. (Photo by CELLOU BINANI / AFP) / “The erroneous mention[s] appearing in the metadata of this photo by CELLOU BINANI has been modified in AFP systems in the following manner: [the president of the high court] instead of [the president of the civil society movement]. Please immediately remove the erroneous mention[s] from all your online services and delete it (them) from your servers. If you have been authorized by AFP to distribute it (them) to third parties, please ensure that the same actions are carried out by them. Failure to promptly comply with these instructions will entail liability on your part for any continued or post notification usage. Therefore we thank you very much for all your attention and prompt action. We are sorry for the inconvenience this notification may cause and remain at your disposal for any further information you may require.”

A court in Conakry on has sentenced 19 people to jail terms of between 10 years and life over the killing of the head of Guinea’s public treasury, who was gunned down in 2012 months after busting an embezzlement plot. 

The accused were prosecuted for a range of crimes, including possession of weapons of war, armed robbery, complicity with murder and murder. 

Their sentencing comes more than six years after the killing of Aissatou Boiro in Conakry by a group of assailants, one wearing military uniform, in a high-profile murder that rocked western Africa, which is plagued by chronic political violence and endemic corruption. 

Seven of the defendants, including the accused assassin Mohamed Sankon, were sentenced to life in prison with a minimum period of 30 years, said Ibrahima Kalil Diakite the head of the tribunal in Conkary. Ten were sentenced to 20 years and two others were given 10-year jail terms.

The court issued arrest warrants for six fugitives, while one other accused died in prison. 

A lawyer for the civil parties, Lancine Sylla, welcomed the decision.

“We think that with this deterrent sentence, criminality will recede in our country,” he said. 

Lawyers for the defence said they would appeal the decision.                

Boiro was shot dead in her car on November 9, 2012, in a residential part of Conakry.

Hailed for her integrity and courage, the treasury director was responsible for foiling a plot to embezzle around 1.5 million euros ($1.7 million) from the Central Bank by a network of people including several executives at the bank, the treasury and finance ministry. 

The trial opened more than a year ago but had been suspended several times.   


All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from News Central TV.

Contact: digital@newscentral.ng

Exit mobile version