Egyptian court adds 145 people to terrorism list

Relatives of members of the Muslim Brotherhood under trial attend a court session for them and former Egyptian president Mohamed Morsi who was ousted in 2013, at a make-shift courthouse in southern Cairo on December 2, 2018. - Morsi and other members of the now-banned Muslim Brotherhood are undergoing trial on charges of breaking out of jail during the 2011 uprising against former president Hosni Mubarak's 29-year rule. (Photo by Mohamed el-Shahed / AFP)

An Egyptian court upheld Tuesday a decision to put 145 people, including staunch Muslim Brotherhood supporters, on the country’s “terrorism list”, a judicial source said.

The Court of Cassation rejected appeals against a ruling passed by a lower court in June last year.

The defendants were accused of training militants and plotting violence in the country, the source said.

The list includes senior Brotherhood figures, many of whom fled Egypt following the military ouster of Islamist president Mohamed Morsi in 2013.

The Brotherhood was designated a “terrorist organisation” months after Morsi’s overthrow.

Turkey-based TV hosts Moataz Matar and Mohamed Nasser, who both work for pro-Muslim Brotherhood channels, are among those on the list.

Matar has recently been in the crosshairs of the state after initiating online calls for protests against President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi.

Hundreds have been added to Egypt’s terrorism list in recent years including Morsi himself. 


All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from News Central TV.

Contact: digital@newscentral.ng

Exit mobile version