Jailed leader of Cameroon’s separatist group begins hunger strike

Ayuk Tabe said the hunger strike was in protest at the disappearance of his comrades from two prison facilties
Jailed leader of Cameroon's separatist group launches hunger strike

The jailed head of Cameroon’s anglophone separatists, Julius Sisiku Ayuk Tabe, has launched a hunger strike to protest the “disappearance” of co-detainees following prison riots, one of his lawyers said Thursday.

Ayuk Tabe, self-proclaimed president of “Ambazonia”, the breakaway state the separatists want to create in the country, stopped eating as of midnight Tuesday along with nine of his supporters, lawyer Joseph Fru told reporters.

READ: Cameroonian security forces quell prison riot filmed on Facebook

In a letter to Cameroon Justice Minister Laurent Esso whose authenticity was verified by reporters, Ayuk Tabe said the unlimited hunger strike was in protest at the disappearance of “our compatriots” from the two prisons.

Your Friends Also Read:  International Crimes Court Convicts Dominic Ongwen of War Crimes

Hundreds of inmates mutinied at an overcrowded central prison in the capital Yaounde on July 22, then the next day at a prison in Buea, the capital of one of Cameroon’s two minority anglophone regions.

The rioters, many of them government opponents or supporters of the English-speaking separatist movement, filmed their protest and posted elements to Facebook.

The government announced 177 arrests including the anglophone separatists.

But it denied rumours that an anglophone leader Mancho Bibixy had been tortured and killed at the hands of the authorities.

Yaounde’s Kondengui prison was built to accommodate 1,500 inmates but is estimated to house more than double.

Your Friends Also Read:  Senegal polls: Incumbent Macky Sall confident of re-election

It holds many inmates arrested since the security crisis pitting separatist English-speaking regions in the west against the French-speaking population elsewhere started in 2016.

Several are serving long prison sentences, while others are awaiting trial.

Since 2017, the fighting has killed hundreds and forced more than 500,000 people from their homes. 

Leave your vote


All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from News Central TV.

Contact: digital@newscentral.ng

Total
0
Shares
Previous Article
Nigeria's Libya-returnees and the survival of "arabo children"

Nigerian women struggle to raise children born of Libya rape

Next Article
Zimbabwe to issue new currency notes to counter cash shortage

Zimbabwe's central bank reports successful treasury bill auction

Related Posts

Log In

Forgot password?

Forgot password?

Enter your account data and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Your password reset link appears to be invalid or expired.

Log in

Privacy Policy

Add to Collection

No Collections

Here you'll find all collections you've created before.