At least 20 soldiers feared dead in ISWAP attack on Monguno, northeast Nigeria

ISWAP claimed the attack and said one of its militants detonated a car bomb in the town, killing at least 8 soldiers and destroying 3 armoured vehicles. Three civilians also killed.

Jihadists of the Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP) have killed about 20 Nigerian soldiers and made nearly 1,000 people homeless in a militant attack on a town in northeastern Nigeria.

Two residents and a military source told Reuters news agency that the attack occurred on Tuesday evening but that the news could not get out on time until late Wednesday.

They said the militants entered Monguno in Borno state posing as a convoy of soldiers on Tuesday evening before attacking troops inside the town and destroying at least 750 homes in the process.

One resident, Gumati Sadu said people fled into the bush for safety during the fighting and that three civilians were killed by stray bullets.

ISWAP claims attack

A military spokesman declined to comment but the Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP) claimed responsibility for the attack on its Amaq news agency.

It said that one of its militants detonated a car bomb in the town, killing at least 8 soldiers and destroying 3 armoured vehicles.

The group also said it had seized a vehicle, weapons and ammunition before leaving the town.

ISWAP split from Islamist group Boko Haram in 2016 and has since staged its own frequent attacks in the region.

Boko Haram’s decade-long insurgency campaign has killed thousands and displaced millions in northeastern Nigeria.

Thousands in Monguno had already been displaced from their homes elsewhere in Borno state by militants. Aid group Medecins Sans Frontieres warned last year that many thousands in Monguno lacked proper shelter, water, sanitation and food.

Your Friends Also Read:  Egypt Fixes Dates For Parliamentary Elections

All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from News Central TV.

Contact: digital@newscentral.ng

Total
29
Shares

Leave a Reply

Previous Article

Nigerian midfielder Ndidi ruled out for a month

Next Article
the wedding party 1 named top grossing movie

‘Wedding Party 1’ named highest-grossing Nollywood movie of the decade

Related Posts
Powered by Live Score & Live Score App