Guinea accuses Human Rights Watch of bias

Guinea’s politics have been tense for months, with a dispute over the constitution sometimes flaring up into violent protests in which dozens of people have been killed.
The President of Guinea Alpha Conde (C), arrives at the African Union headquarters in Addis Ababa during the 33rd Ordinary Session of the Assembly of the African heads of States which is being held in the Ethiopian capital on February 10, 2020. (Photo by Michael TEWELDE / AFP) / “The erroneous byline appearing in the metadata of this photo has been modified in AFP systems in the following manner: [MICHAEL TEWELDE] instead of [TONY KARUMBA]. Please immediately remove the erroneous mention from all your online services and delete it from your servers. If you have been authorized by AFP to distribute it to third parties, please ensure that the same actions are carried out by them. Failure to promptly comply with these instructions will entail liability on your part for any continued or post notification usage. Therefore we thank you very much for all your attention and prompt action. We are sorry for the inconvenience this notification may cause and remain at your disposal for any further information you may require.”

The Guinean government has accused Human Rights Watch of bias in favour of the political opposition on Friday, following the NGO’s criticism of alleged government abuses committed during the coronavirus crisis.

The New York-based group said in April that authorities had “harassed, intimidated, and arbitrarily arrested opposition members and supporters in recent weeks”, and described “an atmosphere of insecurity” under anti-virus measures. 

Guinea has shut the borders, restricted travel and imposed a strict night-time curfew in a bid to curb the spread of the virus.

The West African nation of 13 million has recorded 2,009 cases to date, with 11 fatalities.

Human Rights Watch pointed to recent instances where security forces had acted with alleged impunity during the night-time curfew.

Your Friends Also Read:  Mauritians go to polls in first post-Anerood ballot

Guinea’s security ministry on Friday rejected the allegations and said the arrests were justified.

While admitting to “possible excesses” from security forces, it said violence during a constitutional referendum on March 22 had been triggered by opposition activists. 

Guinea’s politics has been tense for months, with a dispute over the constitution sometimes flaring up into violent protests in which dozens of people have been killed.

President Alpha Conde enacted the new constitution in April following a referendum in March; the credibility of which was questioned by France, the European Union and the United States.

Critics argue that the motive behind changing the constitution is to allow Conde, 82, to reset presidential term limits and run for a third spell in office later this year. 

Your Friends Also Read:  Uganda Military Forces Raid Bobi Wine's Home as Election Nears

But on Friday, Guinea’s security ministry accused Human Rights Watch of ignoring opposition violence and of having “a tendency to systematically denounce the government alone”. 

Rights campaigners have accused Conde of authoritarian drift and complaints about the impunity of the security forces in the country are routine.


All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from News Central TV.

Contact: digital@newscentral.ng

Total
2
Shares

Leave a Reply

Previous Article

Technology is fundamental to Africa’s economic recovery post-COVID-19

Next Article

Moroccan giants Wydad celebrate 83rd anniversary

Related Posts