Du Toit decides to stay in South Africa

Pieter-Steph du Toit reverses decision to leave South African Super Rugby after initially giving notice he would terminate his contract
Wales’ flanker Aaron Wainwright (R) tackles South Africa’s flanker Pieter-Steph Du Toit during the Japan 2019 Rugby World Cup semi-final match between Wales and South Africa at the International Stadium Yokohama in Yokohama on October 27, 2019. (Photo by CHARLY TRIBALLEAU / AFP)

World Rugby Player of the Year Pieter-Steph du Toit has reversed his decision to leave South African Super Rugby side, the Stormers, after initially giving notice he would terminate his contract.

A statement from the Cape Town-based outfit said the 27-year-old loose forward has withdrawn a contract termination notification made last week.

The announcement ends the intense speculation over du Toit’s future with a big-money move to France or Japan previously touted. The Stormers revealed that the 2019 World Cup winner will stay with them at least until after the British and Irish Lions tour of South Africa, scheduled for July-August 2021.

“Pieter-Steph is an important team member,” Stormers coach John Dobson said in a statement on Thursday.

Your Friends Also Read:  Algeria defeat Ivory Coast on penalties to reach AFCON semi-final round

“His extraordinary work rate coupled with his ball carrying skills, makes our forward pack even more formidable.

“The rehabilitation on his [thigh] injury is progressing well and we are looking forward to seeing him in a Stormers jersey again when we get back on the field.

“We are proud as a union of our achievement of contracting eight Rugby World Cup-winning Springboks in the province and keeping them in the country.”

Rugby players in South Africa had been given a 21-day window to opt-out of their current contracts and become free agents in light of pay cuts forced on them by South African Rugby in a bid to save R1.2-billion ($US66.89 million) in expenditure in 2020. Players now face cuts of between 24% and 43% of their salaries between now and December.

Your Friends Also Read:  Anthony Joshua and Odion Ighalo Weigh in on Violence in Nigeria as Soldiers Open Fire on Protesters

South African media reported that Montpellier had offered Du Toit 75 million rand ($4.2mn/3.9mn euros) for a three-year deal, but the French club denied any interest.

Several Japanese sides were also reportedly interested in the 6ft 6.5″, 120-kilogramme flanker, whose younger brother, Johan, is another loose forward in the Stormers squad.


All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from News Central TV.

Contact: digital@newscentral.ng

Total
0
Shares

Leave a Reply

Previous Article

Herve Renard backs Jordan Ayew as new Black Stars leader

Next Article

Embattled Kenyan football Chief interrogated in graft case

Related Posts
Powered by Live Score & Live Score App