Suspected killer of UN experts in DR Congo arrested

The European Union ambassador to the African country, Jean-Marc Chataigner, welcomed the militia chief’s arrest and said he hoped it would allow a revival of the probe into the pair’s death.
Peacekeepers from MONUSCO, the UN peacekeeping mission in the Democratic Republic of Congo (Photo by ALEXIS HUGUET / AFP)

One of the main suspects in the murder of two UN experts probing mass graves in the Democratic Republic of Congo has been arrested after a three-year manhunt for the militia chief, officials said Sunday.

United Nations specialists Zaida Catalan and Michael Sharp, a Swedish woman of Chilean origin and an American man, were murdered in March 2017 in Kasai-central province.

They had been investigating mass graves dug in a conflict between Congolese security forces and “Black Ant” rebel fighters in the then central region of the DRC.

The head of the local military prosecutor’s office said that the suspect, Tresor Mputu Kankonde, was arrested on Saturday and was under interrogation.

“He is being prosecuted for several acts including the murder of UN experts. We have tried to arrest him many times since 2017 but he always got away,” said Lieutenant-Colonel Jean-Blaise Bwamulundu Kuzola.

The European Union ambassador to the African country, Jean-Marc Chataigner, welcomed the militia chief’s arrest and said he hoped it would allow a revival of the probe into the pair’s death.

US Ambassador to DR Congo Mike Hammer called the arrest “a step forward in the pursuit of justice”, adding that America would “continue to support Congolese and UN efforts to uncover the truth. No impunity!”

The trial of the alleged killers of the experts opened three years ago and has not seen any real progress.

But a lawyer for some of the defendants,  Tresor Kabangu, said Kankonde’s arrest was a “big catch”.

Before he was arrested, Kandonde was in the process of reorganising the “Black Ant” militia with a view to attacking the city of Kananga, a Congolese security source told the media.

The regional violence, which left around 3,400 people dead, was triggered in 2016 when security forces killed a tribal leader who was a prominent regional opponent of the Kinshasa regime.

Your Friends Also Read:  Somalia rejects Kenya's maritime border dispute claim

All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from News Central TV.

Contact: digital@newscentral.ng

Total
0
Shares

Leave a Reply

Previous Article

Nominees released for 2019/2020 Marc Vivien Foe Award

Next Article

Four people dead in fresh Ebola outbreak in DR Congo

Related Posts
Powered by Live Score & Live Score App