Iran Denies Report It Plans To Kill US Envoy To South Africa

The Iranian Government has denied a report claiming the country plans to assassinate the United States’ ambassador to South Africa, Lana Marks.

Iran in a swift rebuttal on Monday denied the claims, describing them as baseless.

Citing two unnamed government officials, the Politico reported that authorities have been aware of a general threat against Ambassador Marks since the spring.

It added that intelligence services are not sure why Iran would target 66-year-old Marks, who was sworn in as the US ambassador in October 2019 and does not appear to have any known links to the country.

The report claimed that the Iranian embassy in Pretoria is involved in the plot.

Your Friends Also Read:  South Africa’s Unemployment Rate Hits New High

But, news of the plan comes as Iran continues to seek ways to retaliate following US President Donald Trump’s order to kill an Iranian General Qassem Soleimani earlier this year, the officials said.

Soleimani, the leader of the Revolutionary Guards’ Quds Force, was killed in Baghdad, Iraq in a drone attack on January 3. The US had accused him of masterminding the attacks by Iran-aligned militias on US forces in the region.

However, the spokesperson Embassy of the Republic of Iran in Pretoria, Hamid Reza, denied the claims, calling them baseless.

Reza said Iran will provide you with more information soon.

Your Friends Also Read:  South Africa’s EFF condemns newly sprung whites-only town


All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from News Central TV.

Contact: digital@newscentral.ng

Total
0
Shares

Leave a Reply

Previous Article

Tunisia Appoints Ambassador To Libya For First Time Since 2014

Next Article

Nigerian Comedy; Her Icons

Related Posts
Powered by Live Score & Live Score App