Mozambique may reclose its beaches after fun-seekers were seen not observing safety protocols.
The country is also reconsidering tightening safety measures to limit the spread of coronavirus.
The country had reopened its beaches last week, but fun-seekers were witnessed violating safety protocols on the first weekend since the beaches were reopened.
Government spokesperson, Filimao Suaze, told journalists that people had failed to adhere to social distancing and wearing of face masks.
He said the authorities will monitor people’s behaviour on the beaches in the coming long weekend to determine the government’s response.
“The results of the evaluation and, in particular, with regard to the beaches, may dictate corresponding measures taken,” he said.
The country has so far confirmed more than 7,000 coronavirus cases and 45 deaths.
It will be recalled that Mozambique confirmed its first COVID-19 death in May 2020.
The eastern African nation said the fatality was a 13-year-old child with a with a pre-existing medical condition.
Last Wednesday, Mozambican health authorities announced two more deaths from the Covid-19 respiratory disease, 111 new hospitalisations and a record number of new cases in a single day.
According to a press release from the Ministry of Health, the two new deaths were of a 71 year old woman and a 63 year old man, both of Mozambican nationality.
They were both hospitalised in Maputo city, but the release did not state which hospital admitted them.
The woman died on Tuesday and the man on Wednesday.
Copyright: News Central TV
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from News Central TV.