President Muhammadu Buhari has, in a video posted on his Twitter handle on Monday, said the disbandment of the rogue unit in the Nigeria Police Force is the first step towards reforms.
The Nigerian leader’s address is the first time he would be speaking on the nationwide protests against the brutality and extrajudicial killings of men of the now-defunct Federal Special Anti-Robbery Squad (FSARS) which began last week.
In the video, Buhari said SARS disbandment was a first step to “extensive police reforms”, adding that SARS officials found to be responsible for wrongful acts would be brought to justice.
Buhari also said he had ordered a probe into the killing of a young man in Oyo State during the recent protests.
He said, “I will like to use this opportunity to say a word on the recent genuine concerns and agitations by Nigerians about the excessive use of force and in some cases extra-judicial killings and wrongful conduct of the men of the Nigerian Police Force.
“The disbanding of SARS is only the first step in our commitment to extensive police reforms in order to ensure that the primary duty of the police and other law enforcement agencies remains the protection of lives and livelihood of our people.
“We will also ensure that all those responsible for misconduct or wrongful acts are brought to justice.
“We deeply regret the loss of life of the young man in Oyo State during the recent demonstrations.
“I have directed that the circumstances of his death should be thoroughly investigated.
“Meanwhile, it is important to recognise that the vast majority of men and women of the police force are hardworking and diligent in performing their duties.
“The few bad eggs should not be allowed to tarnish the image and reputation of the force.”
Copyright: News Central TV
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from News Central TV.