Guinea Constitutional Court Confirms President Conde Election Win

FILE PHOTO: Guinea’s President Alpha Conde laughs as he addresses a conference in Berlin, Germany November 19, 2019. John MacDougall/Pool via REUTERS/File Photo

The President of the Constitutional Court in Guinea, Mohamed Lamine Bangoura, on Saturday, confirmed President Alpha Conde’s victory in last month’s election.

The court’s verdict brings to end accusations of fraud and handed the 82-year-old a third term his opponents say is unconstitutional.

Conde’s campaign to change the constitution earlier this year in order to circumvent a two-term limit and subsequent candidacy in the October 18 election sparked violent protests that killed dozens of people.

The president’s main rival, former prime minister Cellou Dalein Diallo, and other opposition candidates alleged irregularities in the official results announced two weeks ago that showed Conde with 59.5% of the vote.

Your Friends Also Read:  Algeria lawmakers to name interim president on Tuesday

But the constitutional court said they had produced no evidence.

“Mister Alpha Conde … is declared elected in the first round as president of the Republic of Guinea,” said court president Mohamed Lamine Bangoura.

Conde’s actions have raised fears about a democratic backslide in Guinea, Africa’s top bauxite producer, and West Africa more generally.

Ivory Coast President Alassane Ouattara was also declared the winner of an election last month after running for a disputed third term.


All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from News Central TV.
Your Friends Also Read:  COVID-19: Nigeria Reopens Schools, Relaxes Curfew

Contact: digital@newscentral.ng

Total
3
Shares

Leave a Reply

Previous Article

Dangote Cement Posts N761.4 Bn Revenue In 9 Months

Next Article

OIF lifts suspension on Mali

Related Posts