Eswatini’s Acting Prime Minister Themba Masuku Tuesday has dismissed as false, reports claiming that King Mswati III fled the country amid violent citizen protests.
Reports had it that Eswatini King Mswati III fled the country amid violent protests. But the government has denied this. Pro-democracy protesters for the second week,have been calling for reforms and for Mswati to cede power as the country’s absolute monarch.
The Swaziland Solidarity Network’s Lucky Lukhele said at least one person had been confirmed dead in the unrest, but the victim’s identity has not been ascertained. He called on Mozambique and South Africa to assist in restoring calm in the kingdom.
“Our call is to South Africa in particular and Mozambique. These are the immediate neighbours of Swaziland, anything that happen in Swaziland, it will be seen as their failure. So, the sooner they move in and quell the situation and also tell King Mswati sit down with the citizen of Swaziland, the better,” he said.
In a brief statement, Masuku said King Mswati III is in the country and performing his duties as usual. The statement read:
Following the false media reports circulating, I would like to take this opportunity to assure emaSwati and the international community that His Majesty King Mswati III is in the country and continues to lead in working with Government to advance the Kingdom’s goals.
Government will update the Nation on interventions on the current situation as the day progresses.
In the meantime, we appeal for calm, restraint and peace from all emaSwati.