The Rwandan Government disclosed that the 16-member Southern African Development Community (SADC) last month approved the deployment of a joint force to help Mozambique respond to the conflict that is concentrated in the northern Cabo Delgado province. It added that Soldiers from Rwanda, which is not a member of SADC, would fight alongside Mozambique’s forces and SADC troops
Insecurity in Mozambique erupted in October 2017 and thousands of civilians, soldiers, and insurgents have been killed in the violence.
“The Rwandan contingent will support efforts to restore Mozambican state authority by conducting combat and security operations, as well as stabilization and security-sector reform,” the Rwandan government said in a statement.
Rwandan Defense Forces Spokesman, Ronald Rwivanga explained that the new force would be deployed in full by Saturday. He said the Rwandan contingent was made up of members of the police force and troops trained “to deal with terrorism and security-related issues in that northern province”.
Almost 800,000 people have been displaced in Cabo Delgado and the fighting has brought a $20 billion natural gas project led by oil giant Total to a halt.
The decision by SADC concluded months of deliberation within the bloc about what was required to stop an insurgency that threatens to open up southern Africa’s first jihadist front.