Not less than 16 people were killed in an attack in the Democratic Republic of Congo’s (DRC) conflict-plagued east.
According to local civilian sources, the attack was believed to be the work of rebels, the victims of Monday’s attack, including two women, had been taken hostage weeks earlier by members of the Allied Democratic Forces.
The local official, Dieudonne Malangai disclosed on Tuesday that the hostages were knifed to death along the main highway near Idohu, in the restive Ituri province.
Ituri’s military governor, Johnny Luboya Nkashama, condemned the killings, he said “… we will reinforce our presence in the region,”
The vast central African country’s government has placed Ituri and the neighbouring North Kivu province under a state of siege since May, stepping up the fight against armed groups.
The ADF is the deadliest of the armed groups operating in the region. The group has been active in the mineral-rich eastern DRC for 30 years.
The DRC’s Catholic Church has said the ADF has killed approximately 6,000 civilians since 2013, while a US-based monitor, the Kivu Security Tracker (KST), blamed it for more than 1,200 deaths in the Beni area alone since 2017.
Copyright: News Central TV
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from News Central TV.