DR Congo Confirms New Ebola Case

The Democratic Republic of Congo on Friday confirmed a new case of Ebola in the eastern part of the country five months after the end of the most recent outbreak there.

Even though has not been confirmed if the case was related to the 2018-2020 outbreak that killed more than 2,200 people in eastern Congo, the second deadliest on record, or the flare-up that killed six this year.

In a statement by Health Minister Jean Jacques Mbungani, a 3-year-old boy tested positive near the eastern city of Beni, one of the epicentres of the 2018-2020 outbreak, and died from the disease on Wednesday,

Your Friends Also Read:  I Did Not Take Direct Orders From Governor Sanwoolu- Seyi Tinubu

According to him, about 100 people who may have been exposed to the virus have been identified and will be monitored to see if they develop any symptoms.

He also disclosed that an internal report from Congo’s biomedical laboratory said that three of the toddler’s neighbours in Beni’s densely-populated Butsili neighbourhood also presented symptoms consistent with Ebola last month and died, but none were tested.

“Thanks to the experience acquired in managing the Ebola virus disease during previous epidemics, we are confident that the response teams will manage to control this outbreak as soon as possible,” Mbungani said.

Congo has recorded 12 outbreaks since the disease, which causes severe vomiting and diarrhoea, and is spread through contact with body fluids, was discovered in the equatorial forest near the Ebola River in 1976.

Your Friends Also Read:  Nobel Laureate, Leymah Gbowee, Campaigns For Peace Ahead Liberia Elections

The disease typically kills about half of those it infects although treatments developed since the record 2014-2016 outbreak in West Africa have significantly reduced death rates when cases are detected early.

Leave your vote


All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from News Central TV.

Contact: digital@newscentral.ng

Total
0
Shares
Previous Article

Zimbabwe, UAE in Bilateral Discussion

Next Article

Bandits Kill 20 in Northwest Nigeria Attack

Related Posts

Log In

Forgot password?

Forgot password?

Enter your account data and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Your password reset link appears to be invalid or expired.

Log in

Privacy Policy

Add to Collection

No Collections

Here you'll find all collections you've created before.