Update: Death Toll in Ikoyi Building Collapse Rises to 22

No fewer than 22 people have been confirmed dead in the 21-storey building that collapsed on Monday on Gerrard Road, in the Ikoyi area of Lagos State.

The South-West Coordinator of the National Emergency Management Agency, Ibrahim Farinloye, on Tuesday, said a total of 20 bodies, including that of Osibona’s personal assistant, had been recovered but additional two (2) bodies were recovered at about 0228hours this morning.

Many are still feared trapped in the rubble, including the Managing Director, Fourscore Heights Limited, Mr Femi Osibona, who owned the building.

Nine people were said to have been rescued alive.

However, observed as agitated family members of some of the victims protested against what they described as the slow pace of work at the scene.

Your Friends Also Read:  157 passengers and crew on Ethiopian Airways flight confirmed dead

The aggrieved families and sympathisers urged emergency management workers to allow members of the public to help in the recovery process to increase the chances of saving more lives.

They claimed that they were not allowed to identify the bodies recovered to know if their loved ones had been found or were still trapped in the rubble.

Recall that the Lagos State governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, yesterday ordered the immediate suspension of the General Manager of the Lagos State Building Control Agency (LASBCA), Gbolahan Oki. 


All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from News Central TV.
Your Friends Also Read:  Tshisekedi receives crucial support from African leaders

Contact: digital@newscentral.ng

Total
0
Shares

Leave a Reply

Previous Article

Israel Sends Officials to Sudan

Next Article

Covid-19: Zimbabwe Approves Sinovac Shots for Older Teenagers

Related Posts