Burkina Faso Says it Suspended Internet Under National Defence Provision

Burkina Faso’s government said on Monday it had disconnected mobile internet access in the country under a legal provision related to national defence and public security.

The internet was cut off on Saturday in the wake of protests against French military forces and the government over their inability to stop rising violence by terrorists. 

State security forces suffered their heaviest loss in years last week when gunmen killed 49 military police officers and four civilians near the northern town of Inata.

Frequent attacks by terrorists linked to al Qaeda and Islamic State have ravaged Burkina Faso since 2017, killing hundreds of soldiers and civilians and forcing more than a million people from their homes.

Your Friends Also Read:  24 Pregnant Girls Rescued from a Baby Factory in Calabar, Nigeria

The government said in a statement that the mobile internet suspension would last 96 hours, adding that fixed internet connections were not affected by the order.

It did not say what specifically had led to the suspension but cited a legal provision related to “the quality and security of networks and services and the respect of obligations of national defence and public security.”

Hundreds of people massed on the main road through the city of Kaya over the weekend to block the path of French armoured vehicles and call for French troops to leave Burkina Faso.

Former colonial power France has thousands of soldiers in West Africa’s Sahel region to battle the militants, who are primarily active in Mali, Niger and Burkina Faso.

Your Friends Also Read:  Kwesi Arthur Reps Ghana On 2020 BET HipHop Awards Cypher

All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from News Central TV.

Contact: digital@newscentral.ng

Total
1
Shares

Leave a Reply

Previous Article
Egyptians Grieve Loss of Two Warrior Women After Cancer Battle (News Central TV)

Egyptians Grieve Loss of Two Warrior Women After Cancer Battle

Next Article

Libya To Construct Solar Plant with Total Energies

Related Posts