The government of Ghana on Friday said it was investigating a massive blast involving a truck transporting mining explosives that killed at least 13 people and wounded several others.
Ghanaian President Nana Akufo-Addo called it a “sad, unfortunate and tragic incident” and expressed his condolences to the families of the deceased.
Scores of homes were destroyed in the Thursday blast. It left a huge crater with wreckage strewn across the ground in the village of Apiate, Bogoso 300 kilometers west of the capital Accra.
Authorities said the blast was triggered after the truck collided with a motorbike and another vehicle.
“The investigation will among others help…to determine whether the regulations covering transportation of explosives were complied with and also what led to the unfortunate tragedy,” the ministry of lands and natural resources said in a statement.
William Jabialu, police commander for the Prestea Huni Valley region, said the death toll had been revised to 13 from an initial 17 reported fatalities.
Another 45 people were receiving treatment in the hospital, he told local media.
Visiting the explosion site, Vice President Mahamudu Bawumia who led the government delegation said the government would cover the cost of hospital bills and help with relief aid for those affected.
Copyright: News Central TV
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from News Central TV.