Rebels Hold Six Peace Envoys Captive in Eastern DRC

Six peace envoys of the President of Democratic Republic of Congo’s (DRC) have been missing since Wednesday afternoon and are believed to be held captive by a rebels in the eastern part of the country.

Spokesman for the Task Force for Peace, Pitchou Iribi said it is believed the six peace envoys are held by militiamen from the Cooperative for the Development of Congo (CODECO)

“The information received from these militiamen reassures that they are indeed alive and safe in captivity,” he said.

According to Iribi, those held hostage include a former warlord in the northeastern Ituri province, Thomas Lubanga, a former rebel leader, Germain Katanga, two journalists, and a driver.

Your Friends Also Read:  Human Rights Violations in D.R. Congo Decreased 12% in 2021 - UN

The captives were in the northeastern Djugu area on a peace and reconciliation mission aimed to convince armed groups to lay down their arms.

Iribi said efforts were underway to secure their freedom and called on the public to remain calm.

As part of the mission, the members of the Peace Task Force went to Djugu to meet with various rebel groups to sensitize them on President Felix Tshisekedi’s demobilization program.

Local media reported the six were taken hostage following bombardment by the government forces targeting the militia group’s positions.

The militia group has reportedly acknowledged that the six were in their captivity, and claimed it was intended to “shelter them following the bombing.”

Your Friends Also Read:  Final Verdict on DR Congo's Admission Into EAC Set For November

The military provincial governor of Ituri province, Luboya N’kashama, said he had provided soldiers for the security of the peace team, but that they had decided to leave the troops behind.

In order to restore peace in the restive eastern Congo, Tshisekedi’s administration initiated a Disarmament, Demobilization, Community Recovery, and Stabilization Program to encourage combatants in armed groups to stop fighting and re-integrate into community life.

The program, under which scores of combatants have previously surrendered, is implemented with the support of various partners, including the UN peacekeeping force in Congo, MONUSCO.


All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from News Central TV.
Your Friends Also Read:  Congo Suspends Director of Nature Conservation Agency

Contact: digital@newscentral.ng

Total
0
Shares

Leave a Reply

Previous Article
WHO Declares Polio Outbreak in Malawi (News Central TV)

WHO Declares Polio Outbreak in Malawi

Next Article
South African Gangsters Kill Nigerian in Mob Attack.  (News Central TV)

South African Gangsters Kill Nigerian in Mob Attack 

Related Posts
Powered by Live Score & Live Score App