Train Accident Claim Sixty Lives in D.R. Congo  

Train Accident Claim Sixty Lives in D.R. Congo (News Central TV)

The state rail company on Saturday announced that a train crash in the southeastern Democratic Republic of Congo has killed at least 60 people.

Marc Manyonga Ndambo, director of the infrastructure at the National Railway Company of the Congo (SNCC) train operator, told newsmen that  “…The toll is 61 dead, men, women and children (and) 52 injured who have been evacuated.”

Local media quoted the provincial governor Fifi Masuka as saying 60 people had been killed.

The train was a freight service which had been carrying “several hundred stowaways”, said Manyonga said even though this was against the law.

Some of the bodies were still trapped in the wagons that had skidded into the ditch.

Your Friends Also Read:  Tropical Storm Eloise: Weather Service Publishes Updates

Manyonga said the train was made up of 15 wagons, 12 of which were empty, and was coming from Luen in a neighbouring province headed for the mining town of Tenke, close to Kolwezi.

It derailed at 11:50 pm (2150 GMT) on Thursday at the village of Buyofwe, about 200 kilometres (125 miles) from Kolwezi, “at a place where there are ravines”, into which seven of the 15 wagons fell, he said.

“My team is working hard to clear the track by Monday,” Manyonga added. Without any further explanation about how the accident happened.

Your Friends Also Read:  Igbo Separatists Kill INEC Officials in Nigeria's South East

Due to the lack of passenger trains or passable roads, people use goods trains to travel long distances. Train derailments are common in the DRC, as are shipwrecks of overloaded boats on the country’s waterways.


All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from News Central TV.

Contact: digital@newscentral.ng

Total
0
Shares

Leave a Reply

Previous Article
Authorities in Ethiopia accuse Rebel Group of Massacre, Uncover 87 Bodies in Mass Grave (News Central TV)

Ethiopia to Take Action Against Uniformed Men Who Burnt Civilians Alive

Next Article

Nigeria’s Falconets Beat Senegal 3-1 in 2022 World Cup Qualifier

Related Posts
Powered by Live Score & Live Score App