Weekend Floods Impede KZN Rebuilding Process

Weekend Floods Impede KZN Rebuilding Process (News Central TV)

In what looked like a sequel to a scary horror movie, heavy rains returned to the already devastated KwaZulu-Natal province over the weekend. One person has been killed and two hundreds more evacuated after torrential rains. 

Meanwhile KZN COGTA MEC Sipho Hlomuka says all Disaster Management Teams have been activated. On Monday, the weather service said conditions had improved significantly but still they expect the rains to continue in parts of the province.

KwaZulu-Natal Premier Sihle Zikala said that this weekend’s heavy rains were a major drawback on the reconstruction that was already underway following last month’s deadly floods.

Zikalala said this while speaking to the news men in uMdloti, where officials were assessing the impact of the floods caused by the recent heavy rains in some parts of Durban.

Your Friends Also Read:  Algeria Recalls Spain Envoy Over Western Sahara Policy Change

The heavy rains caused more damage on infrastructure, including homes in the already flood-stricken province.

Before this weekend’s downpours, the province was already facing R25 billion worth of damages caused by last month’s severe floods. Premier Zikala said: “This is going to delay the rebuilding process. After we had started and the floods took place again, it meant that work being done had to stop.”

Authorities in KwaZulu-Natal opened say many of the people rescued are secondary victims of the April flooding. It has opened 82 reception centres while police, firefighters and rescue workers were ready to respond rapidly to emergencies. The army has also been called in for reinforcement and officials have evacuated elderly people in several villages.

Your Friends Also Read:  Africa's COVID-19 Deaths to Fall by 94% in 2022 - WHO

All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from News Central TV.

Contact: digital@newscentral.ng

Total
0
Shares

Leave a Reply

Previous Article
Software Company DVT to Launch in Kenya (News Central TV)

Software Company DVT to Launch in Kenya

Next Article
Igbo Secessionist Group Allegedly Murder Muslim Family Of Four (News Central TV)

Igbo Secessionist Group Allegedly Murder Muslim Family of Four

Related Posts
Powered by Live Score & Live Score App