Civilians Killed in Eastern DR Congo Rebel Attack

Civilians Killed in Eastern DR Congo Rebel Attack (News Central TV)
Democratic Republic of Congo soldiers rest next to a road after Allied Democratic Forces rebels attacked area around Mukoko village, North Kivu province of Democratic Republic of Congo, December 11, 2018. REUTERS/Goran Tomasevic/File Photo

According to the country’s army and civil society groups, several civilians have been killed by rebel fighters in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC).

The DRC army spokesman told reporters that “more than a dozen” people were killed in Saturday’s attack, while the Red Cross put the death toll at 24.

At least 27 civilians have been killed, according to the Kivu Security Tracker (KST), which monitors violence in the region through a team of experts on the ground.

The killings took place in a village in the Beni region in North Kivu province, army spokesperson Anthony Mualushayi told newsmen.

Soldiers of the Armed Forces of the Democratic Republic of the Congo (FARDC) May 18, 2019 in Butembo, north of Kivu. (Photo by JOHN WESSELS / AFP)

“We heard bullets at dawn in the village of Beu Manyama. When we arrived, it was already too late because the enemy ADF had already killed more than a dozen of our fellow citizens with machetes,” he said.

Your Friends Also Read:  Human Rights Violations in D.R. Congo Decreased 12% in 2021 - UN

Thousands of civilians have been killed in DRC’s troubled east by the Allied Democratic Forces (ADF).

Following the attack, soldiers pursued the attackers and “neutralised seven ADF” while apprehending another, according to Mualushayi.

Philippe Bonane, the head of the local Red Cross, put the civilian death toll at 24.

The massacre follows nearly a month of relative calm in Beni, where Congolese and Ugandan armies have been conducting joint military operations against the ADF since late November.

Another Red Cross representative said on Friday that soldiers in the neighboring Ituri province had discovered 17 decapitated bodies, all of which were believed to be ADF victims.

Your Friends Also Read:  D.R.Congo Parliament Votes Out Economy Minister Kalumba

More than 120 armed groups roam the eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo, and civilian massacres are common.

Both North Kivu and Ituri have been under “siege” since May of last year. In an effort to halt armed group attacks, the army and police have replaced senior administrators.

Despite this, the authorities have been unable to put a stop to the regular massacres of civilians.


All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from News Central TV.
Your Friends Also Read:  Cameroon Separatists Abduct Ruling Party Senator Mundi

Contact: digital@newscentral.ng

Total
0
Shares

Leave a Reply

Previous Article

Egypt, Siemens Sign €8 Billion Deal For High-Speed Rail System

Next Article
AU Calls For Dialogue Over Rising Congo-Rwanda Conflicts (News Central TV)

AU Calls For Dialogue Over Rising Congo-Rwanda Conflicts

Related Posts
Powered by Live Score & Live Score App