Body of Last Miner in Flooded Zinc Mine Found in Burkina Faso

Burkina Faso’s government said that the eighth and last body of a group of miners who were reported missing in April had been found, bringing to an end more than two months of searching in a zinc mine.

The miners were reported missing on April 16 in the Perkoa zinc mine owned by Canada-based Trevali Mining Corp’s entity Nantou Mining Burkina Faso S.A. following heavy rains.

It has been 66 days since the search was launched for the miners, who included six Burkinabes, a Tanzanian and a Zambian.

“After 66 days of searching, the eight miners who disappeared after the flooding have finally all been found dead,” the government said in a statement.

Your Friends Also Read:  Senegal Set to Vote in First Local Elections Since 2019

Seven miners had already been found dead in the underground galleries of the mine on separate days between May 24 and June 8. The last body was just found too.

The Perkoa mine has safe rooms in case of incidents and disasters, but rescue teams opened the first shelter room, where no miners were found.

A second chamber that raised hopes was also opened, but no miner was found there. Since then, the chances of finding the miners alive became slim.


All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from News Central TV.
Your Friends Also Read:  How the History of Zimbabwe Played Out on the Country’s Cricket Fields

Contact: digital@newscentral.ng

Total
18
Shares

Leave a Reply

Previous Article
Nigeria 2023 Court Stops INEC From Ending Voter Registration (News Central TV)

Nigeria 2023: Court Stops INEC From Ending Voter Registration

Next Article

Egypt Welcomes Agreement by Libyan Parties on Draft Constitution

Related Posts
Powered by Live Score & Live Score App