No fewer than 23 people have died after a tanker ladened with Premium Motor Spirit, popularly know as petrol, exploded in Nigeria’s Kogi State on Wednesday.
The incident reportedly happened at Felele area of Lokoja, Kogi, in the early hours of Wednesday.
The State Sector Commander of the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC), Mr Idris Ali, who disclosed this in Lokoja, said the seven school children, 10 male adults and six female adults died in the inferno.
Ali said that three of the children were females while the remaining four were burnt beyond recognition.
He said five of the dead victims were students and staff of the Kogi State Polytechnic located few metres away from the scene of the incident.
According to him, 24 people were involved in the accident which occurred some minutes before 8 a.m., and that only one female child survived with a minor injury.
The commander said that 10 vehicles, including five cars, three tricycles and two motorcycles were also burnt in the inferno.
He said that the corpses had been deposited at the Kogi State Specialist Hospital, Lokoja, where the only survivor was also receiving treatment.
He said that 11 corpses had been claimed for burial by their relations.
The incident has thrown some schools that lost their children in the accident into mourning as they hurriedly closed down.
One of them is the Baptist Group of Schools at Ganaja, which lost three pupils and their parents to the accident, and whose management immediately closed the school till Sept. 28 in honour of the deceased.
The accident occurred when an Abuja bound fuel tanker had a brake failure and in the process fell down at a spot close to GT Plaza and spilled its content on the road, which immediately ignited fire.
The fire engulfed the entire spot and extended to other parts of the area, including a major a bus stop where school children , workers and other people were waiting to board vehicles to their various destinations.
Meanwhile, Gov. Yahaya Bello has expressed shock and sorrow over the fatal tanker fire accident .
The governor’s reaction was contained in a statement signed by his Chief Press Secretary, Mr Mohammed Onogu.
Bello lamented the loss of lives and property in the accident which he described as very sad and tragic.
He expressed his deepest condolences to the relations of the dead victims and grieved with those that lost their property.
He also commiserated with the students and staff of the state Polytechnic, urging them to remain calm and peaceful and bear the loss of their colleagues and staff with great fortitude.
Lagos Governor Awards Scholarship to Children of Policemen Killed During #EndSARS Violence
The Lagos State Governor added that the hospital bills of officers who were injured during the violence will also be covered by the state government.
The Governor of Lagos State , Babajide Sanwo-Olu has awarded scholarships to children of Police officers who were killed by hoodlums during #EndSARS violence in Lagos.
The governor directed the Lagos State Scholarship Board to award scholarship to the children of the slain officers up to the university level.
The Lagos State Police Command bore huge loss in terms of personnel, armoury and properties in the violence.
The Governor of Lagos State said the State Government would also be compensating family members of the officers killed in the violence and that their burial arrangements will be taken care of.
The Governor 0f Lagos State added that the hospital bills of officers who were injured during the violence will also be covered by the state government.
In the same light, The Rivers State Governor, Nyesom Wike also pledged some compensation to police officers and their families who affected by the violence that followed the #EndSARS protest.
Wike announced that the sum of N20 Million will be given to the families of each of the soldiers and police officers killed by members of proscribed Indigenous Peoples Organization of Biafra (IPOB) in Oyigbo last week.
The Governor of Rivers State also promised to rebuild all burnt police stations in Oyigbo and vowed to ensure that the terrorist organisation no longer exist in Rivers State.
Wike stated this during a condolence visit to the Rivers State Commissioner of Police, Joseph Mukan and families of the slain policemen at the Rivers State Police Command on Wednesday.
“IPOB masterminded the killing of our gallant officers of the Nigerian Police and Army. We want to state clearly that Rivers State Government will support you to make sure that any of the perpetrators of this hideous crime does not go free. Enough is enough. You cannot continue to kill our policemen who have not done anything; who have not committed any crime,” the governor said.
Wike further assured the Commissioner of Police that the State Government will rebuild all police stations burnt by IPOB, and provide necessary support to police officers whose residence were vandalised and rendered homeless.
In response, the Rivers State Commissioner of Police Joseph Mukan thanked the governor and said that the Police and the Army have taken over all IPOB’s stronghold in Oyigbo and will ensure that the group cease to exist anywhere within the State.
#EndSARS: Four Police Officers Killed, 11 Stations Razed In Anambra, Says CP
Hoodlums that hijacked anti-police brutality protests killed no fewer than four policemen in Anambra, a state in southeast Nigeria.
According to Commissioner of Police (CP), John Abang, the hoodlums also set ablaze 11 police stations in the state.
Abang made the revelation on Wednesday when he paraded 17 suspected hoodlums.
The list of 17 suspects paraded indicated that 10 of them were indigenes of Anambra, four from Ebonyi and three from Abia.
Abang said 11 Police Stations were burnt down and six vandalised during which the hoodlums carted away motorcycles, ammunition and other valuables.
He said about 20 vehicles were razed, including an Armoured Personnel Carrier and patrol vehicles.
The Commissioner who applauded his men for the professionalism with which they managed the crisis, said lives of police officers in the state were still in danger as hoodlums were still on their trail and most cannot go home.
“It is common knowledge that hoodlums acting under the guise of the “EndSARS” protest attacked Police Stations in some parts of the State which resulted into loss of lives, looting and wanton destruction of property
“The hoodlums set ablaze 11 Police Stations, vandalised six, burnt over 20 vehicles, including patrol and exhibit vehicles and an Armoured Personnel Carrier (APC).
“The Police also lost some rifles during the attacks.
“In the course of these heinous acts, the hoodlums murdered four police officers, including the DPO of Osumenyi Division, CSP Akpan Joseph, ASP Agu Micheal, the Station Officer and a young Police Corporal, Udegbunam Sunday Celestine, while leaving two others injured.
“In their state of callousness, the hoodlums also murdered and beheaded Insp. John Oche, attached to the Anti- Cultism Unit and burnt his body while parading the streets with the deceased policeman’s head,” he said.
Abang said other private and public property were vandalised and looted by the hoodlums, including the state Revenue House, OCHA Brigade office and private trucks loaded with goods were attacked and valuable property looted.
He said the loss of lives and the destruction of property would have been more if his officers and men did not protect Police property gallantly.
The Police Commissioner thanked Gov. Willie Obiano, traditional rulers and town unions for their support for the Police at this trying time and for their efforts at bringing peace to the state.
“Despite concerted efforts by the hoodlums to create a state of lawlessness in Anambra, the Command stood its ground and repelled their attacks in various formations such as Area Commands in Onitsha, Ogidi, Awada, CPS Onitsha, Inland town and the B Division.
“Meanwhile, in the course of the decisive action by the Police, 17 suspects were arrested in connection with the incidents with several exhibits, including one AK47 Rifle stolen from Ogbunike Division, which has been recovered by operatives of the Command,” he added
Nigeria’s Rivers To Employ 5,000 Youths
Nigeria’s Rivers State Government has announced plans to employ no fewer than 5,000 youths into its civil civil service.
The Rivers Executive Council approved the employment at a meeting presided over by Governor Nyesom Wike at Government House, Port Harcourt, on Wednesday.
Mr Kelvin Ebiri, the Special Assistant (Media) to the Governor, said that the government’s plan was announced to journalists by the Commissioner for Employment Generation and Empowerment, Mr. Sylvanus Nwankwo.
Ebiri quoted Nwankwo as saying that the youth to be employed must not be more than 35 years old.
He said there were existing vacancies in the civil service needing : engineers, lawyers, medical doctors, technicians and other fields of profession that the youths would fill.
Also, the Commissioner for Information and Communications, Mr Paulinus Nsirim, said that the recruitment drive undertaken by the Wike-led administration would bridge the employment gap in Rivers.
Nsirim also said that the council approved that civil servants that were asked to be working from home during COVID-19 pandemic lockdown were asked to resume work on Nov. 2.
“Civil servants on Grade Level 1 to Grade Level 10 who have been working from t home because of COVID-19 pandemic lockdown are to resume work on Monday, Nov. 2, 2020.
“ Similarly, bars that had been closed down since COVID-19 lockdown are to open , while night clubs will remain closed” he said.
According to the Commissioner , the council also approved a minor cabinet reshuffle that moves the Commissioner for Chieftaincy and Community Affairs to take charge of the Ministry of Works.
He said the current Commissioner for Works would now head the Ministry of Urban Development and Physical Planning, while the commissioner he is replacing moves to the Ministry of Transport.
Nsirim stated that the current Commissioner for Transport would now be in charge of the Ministry of Chieftaincy and Community Affairs.
The Commissioner also said that the council decided that the Rebisi Flyover would be inaugurated on Nov. 7 by the Minister of Works and Housing, Mr Babatunde Fashola.
Akpeyi recalled by Nigeria for Sierra Leone games
Ethiopia’s Singer, Teddy Afro, Begs For Peace
Tanzania Elections: Chadema Says Won’t Accept Results As Locked Out Observers Preach Transparency
Nigeria’s Central Bank Issues Guidelines For N75Bln Youth Investment Fund
Zimbabwe Arrests Six In Gold Smuggling Case
Breaking: Tanker Explodes In Lagos Nigeria
Actress Ada Ameh Loses Only Child
What IPOB Leader, Nnamdi Kanu, Told #EndSARS Protesters After Lekki Tollgate Killings
British MP Writes UK Government Over Financial Support To Nigeria’s SARS
Mali, Spain Invite Wolverhampton’s Adama Traore
Mtwalo Msoni on South Africa’s Budget
NC REPORTS | Muktar Muhammed on Ngozi Okonjo Iweala
Africa in 60 – 28th October 2020
NC Exclusive // The Tea On Niniola’s Album “Colours And Sounds” With Riyah Abdul
Africa in 60 – October 27, 2020
Politics4 days ago
Nigeria’s Ex-Minister Blasts Bola Tinubu Over Comments On Lekki Protesters
East Africa Politics News4 days ago
Tanzania Government Censoring Mobile Networks Ahead Of Presidential Election
Politics5 days ago
#EndSARS: Nigeria’s Lagos To Prosecute 229 Suspects For Various Crimes
News5 days ago
Statue Of Nigeria’s First President, Azikiwe, Set On Fire By Hoodlums
News4 days ago
Nigeria To Publish Names, Photos Of Inmates Who Excaped From Ondo, Edo Prisons
Politics4 days ago
The EndSARS Protests, A Fundamental Lesson In Democratic Governance – Bola Tinubu
News4 days ago
Nigeria’s NECO Postpones Certificate Exams Indefinitely Over Crises
East Africa Politics News4 days ago
Zambia Celebrates 56th Independence Anniversary