Connect with us

News

30 Mourners Feared Dead As Bus Plunges Into River In Nigeria’s Ebonyi1 minute read

Published

on

No fewer than 30 mourners, who were returning from a funeral, were feared died after a bus they were travelling in plunged into a river in Nigeria’s Ebonyi State.

The incident was said to have happened on Akaeze-Ishiagu highway in Akaeze Development Centre, Ivo Local Government Area of the eastern state on Friday around 6pm.

The driver of the ill-fated bus was said to have attempted to overtake a trailer just before a bridge in the area.

The driver of the bus was said to have lost control of the vehicle and veered off into the river with the vehicle and its occupants submerged immediately.

At the time of filing this report, only five persons in critical conditions had been reportedly rescued and rushed to the hospital for treatment.

A woman, who was part of the five rescued, was said to have died at the hospital.

An eyewitness said there were about 36 people in the bus.

Police spokesman in the state, Loveth Odah, confirmed the incident, describing it as “very unfortunate.”

She, however, said about five people had been rescued from the river, adding that efforts were on to rescue others.

“It is a very unfortunate incident. The DPO of the area just told me that about five persons have been rescued and rushed to the hospital while efforts were on to see if some other persons could be rescued too.

“Our men are already on ground to see what can be done to help the situation,” Odah said.

News

ECOWAS Court Orders Senegal To Pay Belgian Woman $89,793.25

Published

on

The ECOWAS Court has ordered the Republic of Senegal to pay 50 million CFA francs (about $89,793.25) as compensation to a Belgian, Mrs Lays Ghislaine, for violation of her right to liberty while in detention in the country prior to her extradition five years ago.

Delivering judgment, Justice Januaria Costa held the Republic of Senegal is liable for the violation of Ghislaine’s right to liberty.

The court however held that the State did not infringe on her right to dignity, the second plea made in the initiation application.

In a statement issued on Wednesday by the media unit of the Court, the Community Court of Justice also dismissed other reliefs sought by the Applicant, declaring them unfounded.

Ghislaine had in her initiating application in suit no. ECW/CCJ/APP/01/19 filed January 7, 2020, alleged she was arbitrarily arrested in September 2015 in furtherance of an international arrest warrant issued by a Belgian court and detained in prison by agents of the Respondent during which she was subjected to degrading treatment in the course of her extradition to Belgium.

The Applicant added that the process for her extradition exceeded the stipulated 30 days period provided for in the Senegalese law relating to extradition.

She averred that although the order for her extradition was issued on June 14, 2016, she was eventually extradited on Nov. 24, 2016 in contravention of Senegal’s law that provided that the victim if not extradited within 30 days should be released.

Her counsel, Mr Assane Ndiaye, claimed that his client also endured hunger strike and was wrongly diagnosed of cancer with the attendant fear and anxiety’

She therefore sought orders of the court declaring the Respondent liable for the violations, and the payment of 500 Million CFA francs as reparation, as well as the cost of litigation.

In response, the respondent did not counter the claims of the applicant on the applicable law concerning extradition but argued that the Applicant provided no evidence to back her claims of being detained beyond the stipulated time.

The respondent further argued that the hunger strike embarked on by the Applicant took place during the legal period of detention and that the medical report carried out by a Non-Governmental Organisation (NGO) only suspected cancer.

The counsel added that the applicant did not prove how the disease was directly or indirectly related to her detention.

Also on the panel were Justices Gberi-Be Ouattara and Dupe Atoki.

In another suit, the court absolved the government of the Republic of Senegal of violation of the rights of another Senegalese, Mr Siny Dieng, who was tried and sentenced for money laundering and the funds seized by the government.

In the judgment also delivered by the Justice Costa, the court rejected the claim of the applicant that the trial and seizure of the estimated 100 million CFA, based on the order of a court violated his right to fair hearing and property as guaranteed by various legal texts cited in the initiating application in suit no ECW/CCJ/APP/50/19.

Continue Reading

News

Africa in 60 – October 27, 2020

In case you missed it, here are the stories across Africa that made the headlines on Tuesday October 27th, 2020, all in one minute.
——
Do well to click on the link in our bio to read more on these stories and other stories about #Africa
—–
#AfricaFirst #AfricanNews

Published

on

Continue Reading

News

South African Dies In Zimbabwe’s Plane Crash

Published

on

A South African national was found dead, and two others critically injured, in a crashed plane belonging to the Zimbabwe Parks and Wildlife Management Authority (ZIMPARKS) in Zambezi Valley.

Local reports on Tuesday said that a fourth person, who was on the four-seat Cessna 182 light aircraft, is still missing.

It said a 25-man search team has been combing the Chewore Safari Area, Zambezi Valley, in northern Zimbabwe to find him.

The deceased is a South African researcher, who was conducting a game survey with a compatriot and two Zimbabweans, including the pilot, the newspaper said.

Rescuers found the pilot and the other South African researcher badly injured, about 48 hours after the plane disappeared from the radar.

Zimbabwean and Zambian authorities are jointly carrying out the search for the missing passenger.

ZIMPARKS spokesperson, Tinashe Farawo, confirmed the plane crash and said the injured had been taken to Kariba Hospital.

“It is not yet clear what caused the crash and investigations are still in progress.

“We have engaged authorities in Zambia to help in the search for the fourth person who remains missing.”

Continue Reading

Trending