Connect with us

News

50 Killed In DR Congo Mine Collapse1 minute read

Published

on

No fewer than 50 people were killed after a gold mine collapsed in the east of the Democratic Republic of the Congo.

Local authorities said on Saturday that the accident occurred on Friday in the town of Kamituga in South Kivu Province, following days of heavy rain.

The cause of the landslide is currently under investigation.

Provincial Governor Theo Ngwabidje Kasi confirmed in a statement on Saturday that majority of the victims were young people, including children.

Rescuers are continuing to identify the dead and provide assistance.

Local media quoted a survivor as saying that more than 50 people had been in the three shafts, which water had poured in to.

Kamituga Mayor, Alexandre Bundya, decreed a two-day mourning period and called on local residents to help rescuers extract bodies from the ground.

The South Kivu province records landslides every year due to artisanal mining activities in several communities.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Health

COVID-19 Trial Vaccine Administer On Egypt’s Health Minister

Published

on

The Minister of Health in Egypt, Hala Zayed, has been injected with a Chinese-made coronavirus (COVID-19) trial vaccine.

The phase 3 clinical trials of the vaccines are currently taking place in Egypt and 100 other countries.

A statement by the ministry’s spokesman Khaled Megahed, said the minister had the vaccine injected in the deltoid muscle in her upper arm at the Egyptian Holding Company for Biopharmaceuticals and Vaccines (Vacsera).

The vaccine trial is being carried out in Egypt in cooperation with the Chinese government and the UAE’s G42 Healthcare.

In July, Egypt was selected by China to serve as a future African hub for manufacturing a coronavirus vaccine if one is developed by Beijing.

The trial vaccine has been administered to 40,000 volunteers around the world, none of whom have displayed adverse side effects. Some 45,000 more volunteers are set to take the vaccine.

Some 6,000 people in Egypt are among the participants in phase 3, which is deemed the final stage in the trial to test the efficacy and safety of the vaccine before it is licensed, the statement said.

Zayed has called on Egyptians to take part in the trials “for the sake of humanity.”

According to a previous statement by the health ministry, volunteers receive two injections, 21 days apart, and will be monitored over the year.

They also will take a PCR test to make sure they have not previously been infected with the virus.

As of Sunday, Egypt has reported a total of 103,000 coronavirus cases, including 5,883 deaths

Continue Reading

News

Four Die In Nigeria’s Anambra Multiple Road Crash

Published

on

Four persons have been confirmed dead in an accident involving three vehicles at Nigeria’s Anambra State.

The incident happened at Obosi, along Onitsha-Owerri road in Idemili North Local Government Area of Anambra.

Mr Andrew Kumapayi, the Sector Commander of the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) in Anambra, who confirmed the incident in Awka on Monday, said the accident occurred “at about noon”.

“Preliminary findings show that it was caused by brake failure and loss of control,” he said.

The FRSC official said that a total of 13 persons – eight males and five females – were involved in the accident with four of them killed in the crash.

He said that four persons, who sustained injuries, were rushed to Unity Hospital, Obosi, by FRSC rescue team from Oraifite Unit Command, while bodies of the deceased were deposited at the hospital’s morgue.

Kumapayi urged motorists to ensure regular maintenance of their vehicles and ensure they met minimum safety standards before entering the road.

He said, “At about 1130hrs this morning (Monday), a multiple fatal crash as a result of break failure and loss of control involving a red 911 M/Benz with registration number JJT 168 XG , a Toyota Camry car with registration number FST 122 DQ and a white Toyota Hiace bus belonging to Izuchukwu Motors with registration number ABN 430 YN was recorded at Obosi slaughter near Obosi police division along Onitsha – Owerri road.

“A total of 13 people, consisting of eight male adults and five female adults were involved in the Crash. Two male adults and two female adults who sustained varying degrees of injury were rushed to Unit Hospital Obosi, by the FRSC rescue team from Oraifite Unit Command and four corpses deposited at the Morgue after they were confirmed dead by a medical doctor in the hospital.”

Continue Reading

News

Boko Haram Attacks Nigerian Governor With Bombs On Donkey

Published

on

The convoy of a Nigerian governor was attacked by militants suspected to be linked to the Islamic State (IS) using a donkey strapped with explosives.

Governor Babagana Zulum Borno’s convoy was ambushed on Sunday as he was returning to the state capital, Maiduguri.

The governor was earlier attacked on Friday by militants while he was travelling to an area near Lake Chad on Friday. 18 people – 14 police officers and soldiers and four civilians – were said to have died in the Friday incident.

On Sunday, the militants placed a donkey ladened with bombs on the road his convoy was passing. When soldiers saw the animal, they shot at it and the explosives then went off and the militants immediately came out from their hide-out to open fire on the convoy.

A number of insurgents were killed in the ensuing shoot-out. No-one in the convoy – including the governor – was injured but some vehicles were damaged by bullets, the official said.

At least 18 people – 14 police officers and soldiers and four civilians – were killed in Friday’s ambush.

The governor had toured Baga town in preparation for the return of thousands of residents displaced by Boko Haram militants in 2014.

Meanwhile, opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has condemned the attacks on the motorcade of Borno state Governor, Babagana Zulum, by insurgents resulting in the killing of some security operatives attached to the governor.

The party condemned the attack in a statement issued on Sunday in Abuja by its National Publicity Secretary, Mr Kola Ologbondiyan.

Ologbondiyan said that the repeated attacks on the governor as well as the rising wave of terrorist attacks, reinforced apprehensions of security compromises and lapses in the country.

He said the repeated attacks on the governor also stressed the need to immediately rejig the nation’s security `apparatchik’.

This is particularly with Gov. Zulum’s insistence that the security architecture in the North-East axis is being compromised.

“Our party is alarmed by the frightening situation where insurgents now have the temerity of repeated attacks on the armed convoy of a state governor.

“This highlights the nightmare being witnessed by ordinary compatriots, as soft targets, in various troubled areas across our dear nation.

“The PDP restates our call to President Muhammadu Buhari to heed the call by well-meaning Nigerians, including the two chambers of the National Assembly, to immediately rejig the nation’s security apparatchik.

“Mr president should rejig the nation’s security apparatchik by replacing his service chiefs with fresh hands to effectively confront the security challenges facing our nation,”he said.

Ologbondiyan commiserated with Zulum as well as the families of the victims of these incessant attacks and urged the governor not to be deterred.

“The PDP also salutes the gallantry of our troops fighting in the fronts in spite of the odds and urged Nigerians to remain prayerful and alert in this trying time,” he said.

Continue Reading

Trending