Connect with us

Central Africa Sports News

Aubameyang Lost Form After Signing New Contract – Darren Bent

Published

on

Gabonese striker, Pierre-Emerick Aubmeyang, has lost form since signing a new contract at his London-based, Arsenal, says former Tottenham forward Darren Bent.

Aubameyang reached a five-game goal drought for the first time since 2014 after Arsenal lost 1-0 to Leicester City in the Premier League on Sunday night.

The 31-year-old last and only league goal came against Fulham on opening day and Bent thinks he is not having the best time in Mikel Arteta’s team.

“There has been a drop-off,” Bent said on Talk Sport.

“You look at his form in the semi-final and the final of the FA Cup last season, the Community Shield and his performance against Fulham – he was arguably one of the best strikers in the Premier League, probably the best.

“But since he signed that new contract, it might be a coincidence, but he’s looked a shadow of himself.

“He’s missed big opportunities in games, he’s not working with the same intensity, he doesn’t look like he’s enjoying it as much.

“Listen, confidence is massive in a striker. It is with any player, but particularly with a centre-forward, when you’re used to scoring as many goals as he is and then you suddenly stop scoring, it can be a little bit of a concern.

“But I think it’s even the work rate as well.

“You remember, he was putting shifts up and down, he was all over the place, but he’s been nowhere near that level recently.”

Aubameyang committed his future to the Emirates Stadium outfit last month in a deal that earns him around £250,000 per week at the club.

He will be expected to play a part when the Gunners host Dundalk for their next European fixture on Thursday before they battle Manchester United in the Premier League on November 1.

Central Africa Sports News

Moukoko: The 16-year Old Cameroonian Making History in German Football

Published

on

Youssoufa Moukoko

Africans have continued to make big waves in German football in the 2020/21 season. Earlier in the season, Jamal Musiala, a 17-year old Anglo-Nigerian striker became Bayern Munich’s youngest goalscorer in history.

On Saturday, another stellar teenage African was introduced to senior football in the German Bundesliga.

Youssoufa Moukoko, 16, became the youngest player in the history of the German top flight when he was given a 5-minute run in Borussia Dortmund’s 5-2 thrashing of Hertha Berlin.

Moukoko, who was born in Cameroon’s capital, Yaoundé moved to Germany in 2014 to join his father who moved to Europe in the 1990s. In all the age-grade teams he has played for in Germany, the well rated attacker has broken and created scoring records.

Borussia Dortmund snapped him up from St. Pauli in 2016 and he has impressed the Black and Yellow fans greatly, with many tipping him for greatness.

Compatriot and Cameroon legend, Samuel Etoo has recommended Moukoko to Barcelona, while Dortmund is jealously protecting their prized asset from preying eyes.

Moukoko has been subject of great hype in the German football circle with Borussia Dortmund and German football handlers moving to reduce his exposure to the press.

“After Youssoufa’s first international games at the under-16 level, in 2017, the hype was at times so huge, that, together with Dortmund, we decided to let him make his next steps solely with his club,” Meikel Schonweitz, the head coach of Germany’s youth teams, said. 

The German FA avoided selecting Moukoko for matches again as a result of the huge praise coming his way, before he made his U-20 debut this year, aged just 16.

“The hype doesn’t do anyone any favours,” said Stefan Kuntz, coach of Germany’s Under-21s. “The first low is always the toughest.”

His coaches have hailed him as a wonderfully-gifted player with a natural affinity for goal-scoring. Borussia Dortmund’s coach, Lucien Favre has also hailed his skill and technique to high heavens.

“As of yet, the sun always shines for Youssoufa. He hasn’t had any rainy days, but these rainy days will come,” Nuri Sahin who used to hold the record as youngest debutant for Dortmund said about the striker.

Despite his very young years, Moukoko has a running €10m advertising contract with Nike.

The world of football will see more of Moukoko now he has finally made his debut, and it can be both ways from here.

While he has represented German age-grade teams, making his U-16 debut at 12, his international future is yet to be a subject of debate, with Cameroon making a strong claim to honing and owning the youngster.

Continue Reading

Central Africa Sports News

Cameroon’s Former Barcelona Star Makes Debut With Djibouti Club

Published

on

Former Arsenal and Barcelona midfielder, Alexandre Song has made his debut with Djibouti club, AS Arta Solar 7.

Song who made a surprising move to Djibouti last month skippered the team in a friendly game against AS Kigali at the Kigali Stadium, Rwanda. The match was in preparation for the team’s CAF Confederations Cup game against Arab Contractors on November 28.

Song, 33, left Swiss club FC Sion in March after his salary was cut as a result of the cash crunch faced by the club in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic.

He was unveiled by the Djibouti some weeks ago and was given his favourite #17 jersey. The former Bastia midfielder is expected to change the cause of the team for good and also steer football development in the country.

Song has featured at the African Cup of Nations and World Cup with Cameroon and is an experienced campaigner in European football.

His move has been seen as one that should encourage footballers of his ilk to consider African clubs.

Recall that Ghanaian football star and former national team captain, Asamoah Gyan recently joined local Ghana Premier League club, Legon Cities.

Continue Reading

Central Africa Sports News

FIFA Hammers CAF President Ahmad With 5-year Ban

Published

on

World football governing body, FIFA has handed CAF President Ahmad Ahmad a five-year ban from all football-related activities.

Ahmad was accused of violating various codes of ethics set by FIFA.

The ban, which is effective immediately, also came with a fine of 200,000 Swiss Franc.

The Malagasy, 60, who has taken a leave of absence from CAF’s top seat following his positive COVID-19 result, was accused of breaching several FIFA rules. He was alleged to have misappropriated funds and received gifts that were tantamount to an abuse of office.

“The investigation into Mr Ahmad’s conduct … from 2017 to 2019 concerned various CAF-related governance issues, including the organisation and financing of ah Umrah pilgrimage to Mecca, his involvement in CAF’s dealing with the sports equipment company Tactical Steel and other activities,” a FIFA statement read.

Ahmad last month declared his intention to run again for the CAF Presidency, a desire which is now in doubt.

Elections into positions at the African football governing body will come up in March, 2021. Ahmad, however will receive communications of a full verdict of FIFA’s decision in 60 days’ time and that may automatically rule him out of the race.

Ahmad, who doubles as FIFA Vice President has denied any wrongdoings and is expected to appeal at the Court of Arbitration for Sports (CAS).

Continue Reading

Trending