Bayer Leverkusen striker Victor Boniface is “happy” and “focused” even though a potential big-money January move to Saudi Arabia fell through last month, the German club’s sporting director Simon Rolfes said Friday.
Boniface was left out of training and one matchday squad in January, while Leverkusen were expected to receive up to 70 million euros ($73.50 million) from Saudi side Al-Nassr, according to German media.
Instead, the Saudi club bought Aston Villa forward Jhon Duran for a rumoured sum of 77 million euros.
Boniface, 24, returned to training with the defending Bundesliga winners and has scored two goals in three games, including an extra-time winner in Leverkusen’s German Cup quarterfinal win against local rivals Cologne.

Rolfes stated on Friday that Boniface was fully focused and did not believe his chances of a big money move had passed.
“He’s very good now, and I believe he’s happy. He’s satisfied with the guys. “That is how I feel every time I see him.”He’s laughing in the locker room with the other crazy guys.
“They have a lot of fun together, and he knows he has a bright future, so it’s not a once-in-a-lifetime chance.”
Rolfes, who signed Boniface in the summer of 2023, declined to comment on the rumoured transfer amount or compensation but did say it was “normal” for a player and a club to explore large offers.
“He likes the club, the teammates, our ambitions, but for sure, when it’s a certain amount in salary, the player also starts thinking about it, and I think that’s normal and there was never a problem.”
“Sporting-wise, we do not doubt his quality,” Rolfes said.
He continued, “Xabi (Alonso), myself and the club, we wanted to keep Victor, but for a certain amount, you have to be open to speak.”
On Saturday, Leverkusen, who qualified directly for the Champions League last 16 and are through to the German Cup final four, will play league leaders Bayern Munich.