Cape Town City secures quarter-final place in SA’s FA Cup

Blunders by Highlands goalkeeper saw their rivals deliver a blitz of three goals in 13 minutes
Edmilson Dove of Cape Town City clears ahead of Brandon Theron of Highlands Park during the Absa Premiership 2016/17 game between Cape Town City and Highlands Park at Cape Town Stadium, Cape Town on 07 February 2017 © Ryan Wilkisky/BackpagePix

Cape Town City scored three goals in 13 minutes to defeat Highlands Park 3-0 Friday and reach the South African FA Cup quarter-finals.

A seesaw struggle for supremacy in an all-Premiership round-of-16 clash took a decisive turn on the hour when Highlands goalkeeper Marlon Heugh committed the first of two blunders.

He failed to hold a shot from outside the box by Kermit Erasmus, a melee ensued and captain Thamsanqa Mkhize slammed the loose ball between the legs of Heugh for the lead.

The goalkeeper could not be faulted for the second goal at Cape Town Stadium as Craig Martin controlled a dropping ball with his knee before unleashing a thunderbolt into the corner.

Heugh was to blame for the third goal on 73 minutes, though, as he failed to trap a back pass, then slipped while vainly trying to recover and prevent the ball entering the net.

Your Friends Also Read:  Mass Corruption Trial of Angola Army Officers Starts

“I hope he can get over those mistakes as Marlon is a good goalkeeper,” said sympathetic Cape Town coach and former South Africa star Benni McCarthy.

“We were off the pace in the first half and I had to give a tongue lashing to several players at half-time.

“I told them what they needed to hear and warned that if there was no improvement and a change of attitude we would lose a match that was there for the taking.

“They played in the second half the way I expected them to perform from the start. There was a sense of urgency and we won a lot of second balls.”

Your Friends Also Read:  Africa CDC Approves AstraZeneca Vaccine in Countries Without South African Variant

Highlands coach Owen da Gama believed the match officials erred in not awarding his Johannesburg-based side a goal six minutes into the opening half.

“It looked a goal from where I was sitting on the touchline,” he said. “I am not saying we were robbed, just that the correct decision was not made.

Big-screen replays suggested the referee got a marginal decision correct with the whole of the ball not crossing the goalline before it was cleared.

Although Cape Town had more first-half possession, Highlands created the better chances and were denied twice by the woodwork.

It was a good day for Cape Town clubs with Cape Umoya United eliminating fellow second division outfit Mbombela United 4-2 on penalties after a 0-0 draw following extra time.

Your Friends Also Read:  The Big 5 - Review

The other six round-of-16 ties are scheduled for Saturday, Sunday and Monday.

All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from News Central TV.



Leave a Reply

Previous Article
Elections body Chairman Nigeria

Nigeria polls shifted till February 23 as shoddy logistics hit electoral body

Next Article
charles mungoshi books

Iconic Zimbabwean novelist Charles Mungoshi, dies at 71

Related Posts