Car bomb rocks central Mogadishu

Al-Shabaab said it had planted the bomb, claiming its fighters targeted one of the checkpoints of the palace apostates
MOGADISHU, SOMALIA – MARCH 07: Damaged stores and a vehicle are seen after an attack carried out with a bomb-laden vehicle near the Museum of Somalia which killed 5 people and wounded 10 others in Mogadishu, Somalia on March 07, 2019. Sadak Mohamed / Anadolu Agency

Four people were killed and nine wounded when a car bomb exploded near a restaurant in central Mogadishu on Thursday, police said, as the Al-Shabaab jihadist group claimed responsibility.

The blast “was caused by a car loaded with explosives, we perceive that it was parked near a restaurant along the road,” Somali police official Ibrahim Mohamed told AFP.

The restaurant was near a security checkpoint in the Somali capital, not far from the presidential palace. The road in which the blast occurred houses eateries and tea shops.

“The explosion was very heavy, and we could see the smoke and dust overwhelmed the whole area, it was a car bomb,” said witness Ibrahim Farey.

Your Friends Also Read:  Uganda Quashes Treason Case Against Kizza Besigye

Another, Aisha Hassan, said several vehicles were destroyed and buildings damaged. 

Al-Shabaab said it had planted the bomb, claiming in a statement that its “fighters targeted one of the checkpoints of the palace apostates.”

The nationalist, Islamist group, linked to Al-Qaeda, is fighting an armed insurrection in Somalia against what it sees as heretic and foreign influence.

Earlier this month, at least 20 people died in an attack in Mogadishu which saw Al-Shabaab jihadists battling security forces for nearly 24 hours.

The Shabaab were chased out of Mogadishu in 2011 by the 22,000-strong African Union mission AMISOM, and have had to abandon most of their strongholds.

Your Friends Also Read:  Mali Suspends Grain Exports Amid Fears of Food Shortage

But they still control vast rural areas and remain the key threat to peace in Somalia.

President Mohamed Abdullahi Mohamed, elected in February 2017, has declared a state of war against the group.


All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from News Central TV.

Contact: digital@newscentral.ng

Total
0
Shares

Leave a Reply

Previous Article

One mid-wife in South Sudan is creating a healthcare legacy

Next Article

Tanzania rebases economy

Related Posts
Powered by Live Score & Live Score App