Connect with us

Central Africa News

Central African Republic Declares State of Emergency

Albert Yaloke Mokpeme, the spokesperson for the presidency, made the announcement on national radio.

Published

on

The Central African Republic has declared a 15-day state of emergency all over the country, as violent attacks continue, following attempts of a coalition of armed groups seeking to overthrow the newly re-elected President Faustin-Archange Touadera.

Albert Yaloke Mokpeme, spokesperson for the presidency, made this announcement, Thursday, on national radio.

He disclosed that the state of emergency will last until Feb. 4.

The rebels staged an attack last week just outside the nation’s capital, Bangui, but were repelled by UN peacekeeping forces. Recently, the U.N. mission has asked the UN Security Council for more troops and more equipment.

The rebels have been carrying out sporadic attacks in towns far from the capital Bangui and on the RN3 highway, which is the crucial supply line that links the capital with neighbouring Cameroon.

The coalition of armed groups is calling for the resignation of President Faustin-Archange Touadéra who was re-elected in a contentious election on December 27.

Militias who claim to represent ethnic or other groups control two-thirds of the country’s territory and this has been raising questions about government’s control of the vast, mineral-rich central African nation.

Just last week a call was made by the UN Refugee Agency (UNHCR), for the immediate end to all armed violence and clashes in the Central African Republic. Reports from the agency state that about 60,000 people have been forced to flee their home since December, most of whom have fled to neighbouring Cameroon.

Meanwhile health workers in the land-locked central African country, have complained that the continued violence has made it more challenging to control the spread of the COVID-19 pandemic.

The health workers say they are unable to penetrate places where fightings have escalated.

So far, the country has recorded a total of 4,963 positive COVID-19 cases, out of which 1,924 has since recovered. 63 people have died of COVID-19 related issues so far.

Join our newsletter


Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Central Africa News

Hutu Militia, FDLR, Deny Ambush, Assassination of Italian Envoy to D.R. Congo

Published

on

A Hutu militia in eastern Congo, as the Democratic Forces for the Liberation of Rwanda (FDLR), has denied any involvement in Monday’s killing of Italy’s ambassador to the Democratic Republic of Congo.

Luca Attanasio, 43, died of his injuries he sustained during an ambush on a United Nations convoy he was travelling in the eastern town of Goma. Vittorio Iacovacci, a 30-year-old Italian military police officer travelling with the envoy, and a Congolese World Food Programme driver, Mustapha Milambo, also died in the incident.

According to reports, the ambush was carried out by six armed men, who stopped the two-car convoy on the road. They fired point-blank shots at the bodyguard who died on the spot and at the ambassador, wounding him in the abdomen.

“The ambassador died of his wounds an hour later at the United Nations peacekeeping hospital in Goma,” the presidency said.

DR Congo’s Ministry of the Interior and Security had blamed the incident on FDLR but the group’s spokesman, Cure Ngoma, denied any involvement.

Describing the killing as ‘heinous assassination’, Ngoma wondered why his group was linked to the ambush, noting that over 100 armed groups operate in the area.

Ngoma said that “whoever will be identified as responsible for the attack should be severely punished”.

In a statement, the armed group said the attack happened in an area where both of DR Congo and Rwanda had a military presence – so any investigation should take that into account.

Join our newsletter


Continue Reading

Central Africa News

Italian Ambassador to DR Congo, Luca Attanasio, Killed in Attack on U.N. Convoy

Published

on

The Italian ambassador to the Democratic Republic of Congo, Luca Attanasio, was killed on Monday in an attack on a United Nations convoy in Goma, the east of the country.

A policeman travelling with him was also killed in the attack, Italy’s Foreign Affairs Ministry confirmed.

“It is with deep sorrow that the foreign ministry confirms the death today in Goma of the Italian ambassador to the Democratic Republic of Congo, Luca Attanasio, and of a policemen from the carabinieri,” the Italian foreign ministry statement said.

“The ambassador and the soldier were travelling in a car in a convoy of Monusco, the United Nations Organisation stabilisation mission in the Democratic Republic of Congo.”

According to local reports, the convoy was attacked near the town of Kanyamahoro at around 10:15 a.m. (0815 GMT) and was part of a kidnap attempt.

Many armed groups operate in and around Virunga, which lies along Congo’s borders with Rwanda and Uganda, and they have repeatedly attacked Virunga rangers.

“The three fatalities have been identified as the Italian Ambassador to DRC, Luca Attanasio, an Italian embassy official, and a WFP driver,” the UN agency said in a statement.

Other passengers were also injured as the delegation was set to visit a WFP school feeding program.

Italy’s Foreign Minister Luigi Di Maio left a meeting in Brussels to return to Rome following the news.

“The circumstances of this brutal attack are not yet known and no effort will be spared to shed light on what happened,” Di Maio said on Facebook, honouring the victims as “two servants of the state.”

Join our newsletter


Continue Reading

African News

Burundi, Ethiopia to Strengthen Bilateral Ties

The two Presidents later released a joint communique, asking concerned sector Cabinet ministries to put in place a strategy that will revive their co-operation, through working sessions and of the joint permanent commission between both countries to be convened.

Published

on

Burundi and Ethiopia’s Presidents have met in Bujumbura, the Burundian capital to discuss the strengthening of bilateral ties, among other issues.

Ethiopia’s President Sahle-Work Zewde ended a two-day working tour of Burundi last week, as the two countries move to improve their bilateral ties.

Speaking on her arrival at the Melchior Ndadaye International Airport in Burundi, she said; “We felt something has been missing in our relations and even with this high level of delegation of Ethiopia to Burundi, none of us has visited this beautiful country before. So I’m extremely honoured to be the first.”

She was met by her counterpart President Evariste Ndayishimiye. During her tour of the capital Bujumbura, Zewde visited the manufacturing companies, and the mausoleum, before holding a closed-door meeting with President Ndayishimiye.

Read Also:

Burundi to Reopen Melchior Ndadaye Airport

Ethiopia Set National Elections For June 2021

The two later released a joint communique, asking concerned sector cabinet ministries to put in place a strategy that will revive their co-operation and bilateral ties through working sessions, and the joint permanent commission between both countries to be convened.

Part of the communique reads: “Both presidents stressed the need to strengthen continental, regional, and sub-regional organizations in the promotion and consolidation of peace, security, stability and sustainable development.”

Ethiopia and Burundi are among African countries contributing troops to the African Union Mission in Somalia (Amisom) and are under the Inter-governmental partnership of the Nile Basin Initiative.

The Ethiopian president is the first to visit Burundi since Ndayishimiye was elected last year.

Over eight months in office, President Ndayishimiye’s government has prioritized mending and strengthening of diplomatic ties and relations with neighbouring countries and the international community.

Join our newsletter


Continue Reading

Trending