Connect with us

News

COVID-19: Ethiopia’s Private Schools Struggle To Pay Teachers’ Salary1 minute read

Published

on

Private schools in Ethiopia can no longer pay the salaries of their teachers as the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic bites harder.

The Private Schools Association (PSA) in the country says parents have stopped paying school fees due to the outbreak of COVID-19.

Ethiopian Private Schools President, Abera Tassew, added that as a result, teachers are suffering and looking for other alternatives to make ends meet.

He said almost all schools will not be able to pay their teachers unless a solution is found for the next school year, adding that some schools have paid half of their salaries since July.

He said parents should compromise to pay school fees to stop the disbandment of teachers for the next generation.

“Every parent or guardian should work together to overcome this problem,” he said.

Abera added that the association is holding talks with the Ministry of Education and the National Bank to provide loan and to ensure that the problem does not worsen and that the fate of teachers and schools is not in jeopardy.

He further noted that the problem is time-consuming and teachers are in serious danger. Calling on all stakeholders to work together for a solution, he reminded the schools to at least pay the teachers’ salaries without interruption.

Art

I Did Not Take Direct Orders From Governor Sanwoolu- Seyi Tinubu

Samagbeyi afolasade

Published

on

CEO of LoatsAD media, Seyi Tinubu has again issued a statement to debunk rumours of him taking orders from Sanwoolu to specifically turn off the billboards of LoatsAD.


Few hours ago, Seyi Tinubi, the son of APC national leader and ex-governor of Lagos state released a statement that revealed that they shut down their billboard at the Lekki Toll gate based on the directives and the curfew order put in place by the State governor of Lagos state- Baba-Jide Sanwoolu, however some media organizations have taken this out of context to mean that he switched off the Lekki toll gate billboard on Sanwo-Olu’s order.


”Following our earlier post detailing what transpired at the Lekki toll gate yesterday, we would like to address the sensational headlines making the rounds.

Like every other business in Lagos and in compliance with the curfew issued by the Governor, we told our staff to leave all our sites at 3pm in order for them to adhere to the 4pm curfew issued. All news coverage around that period clearly show the billboard was off before 4pm (we will implore this to be verified).



All we operate is the billboard at this location and we have no control over the street lights or cctv.

When we were approached by the organisers of the protest to help them with power, we gave them unfettered use of our generator and ensured our technical staff was physically present to control the board for their use. And when the events were over he will leave at midnight.

On this occasion we were highly concerned about our staff members who live very far from Victoria Island. On no account will we have turned off our board on the same comrades we worked with throughout the entire period the protests were ongoing at the Tollplaza



Our hearts continue to go out to the victims and families of the tragic turn of events that have taken place. we are really heartbroken at the way things turned out and we pray our land is” healed by God’s grace”

This is the post Seyi TInubu put out and said was taken out of context, hereby, refering to the news of those organizations as fake, and their headlines as sensational, which he felt the need to readdress

”On Tuesday when the curfew was announced we heeded the governor’s warnings and didn’t want our staff in any danger, hence by 3pm our staff had been ordered to leave the site and the board was switched off based on the governor’s curfew request.

We had no idea what was going to happen and we feel the same aguish, pain and shock at the events that unfolded and our hearts and prayers go out to the victims and families of this ungodly act.

We believe in this movement and that it was the start of the change our generation needed to move our country forward and we will continue to support the youths of this great nation.”

Continue Reading

Art

Why We Switched Off Lekki Billboard- Seyi Tinubu

Samagbeyi afolasade

Published

on


CEO of LoatsAD media, Seyi Tinubu has issued a statement to explain why the Lekki Toll gate’s billboard was off, as well as to clear up rumours of him taking part in the attack on #EndSars protesters at Lekki Toll gate on Tuesday evening.

The son of APC national leader and ex-governor of Lagos state revealed that they shut down their billboard at the Lekki Toll gate based on the directives and the curfew order put in place by the State governor of Lagos state- Baba-Jide Sanwoolu.

The governor of Lagos state had declared a 24-hour curfew in Lagos state, following the violent trend of #EndSars protests. He said the peaceful protests had slid into a monster that is threatening social lives, and some criminal and miscreants have hidden behind the peaceful protest to unleash terror on the state, and nobody except essential service providers and first responders must be found on the streets.

Seyi Tinubu has however claimed in the statement that he released that he was following the instruction of the Governor, and he was not an ally, and had absolutely to do wth the attacks that night, and if anything, his company has assisted a lot of young Nigerians, and they have also supported the movement.

The statement reads thus:
”When we started in 2014, we had a plan to change the perception of African start-ups in the global space. We believed as Africans, we could create something great and we set out with a N4m loan from a bank and we started trading, going from door to door begging for work and relentlessly grew the business employing and empowering over 200 Nigeriand today directly or indirectly. We have supported many upcoming businesses, artistes, people in need as giving back to our community has always been our passion (all this can be verified).


All our achievements thus far have come from hardwork, sweat, and determination of our work force and everything Loatsad has been doing has been open, all taxes are remitted and payments to agencies and regulatory bodies have been timely, so we can be proud to say we are contributing to the growth of the industry and Nation.

When the ”EndSars” and ”say no to police brutality” protests started from day one we wholly suported the movement and used all our platforms to promote the messages (I believe the promoters can verify this information) as we believed in the cause.

On Tuesday when the curfew was announced we heeded the governor’s warnings and didn’t want our staff in any danger, hence by 3pm our staff had been ordered to leave the site and the board was switched off based on the governor’s curfew request.

We had no idea what was going to happen and we feel the same aguish, pain and shock at the events that unfolded and our hearts and prayers go out to the victims and families of this ungodly act.

We believe in this movement and that it was the start of the change our generation needed to move our country forward and we will continue to support the youths of this great nation.

Continue Reading

News

Death Toll In Ghana’s Collapsed Church Building Now 18

Published

on

The number of people killed in the collapsed church building in the Eastern Region of Ghana has increased to 18, local police said on Thursday.

Francis Gomado, the spokesman for the Police in the Eastern region, said the death toll stood at 14 as of late Wednesday but went up again with four more bodies recovered early Thursday.

“The recovery work has been slow because of inefficient equipment, and individuals have been assisting with what they have,” he said.

He said about ten persons have been rescued alive and are receiving medical treatment, while the head pastor of the Church of Prosperity Akwa Isaac is in police custody to assist in investigations.

The Church of Prosperity’s three-story building located in the rural town of Akyem Batabi in the Eastern region of Ghana collapsed on Tuesday, trapping dozens of worshippers.

Continue Reading

Trending