Connect with us

Featured

Cricket South Africa given permission to host England in November

Published

on

The Ministry of Sports, Art and Culture has given Cricket South Africa (CSA) the permission to proceed with the limited Overs tour against world champions, England.

The ICC World Cup champions, England will arrive the country in mid-November due to the Covid-19 protocols.

Two ODI matches and two T20 matches will be played at Newlands Stadium, one ODI and one T20 match will be played at the Eurolux Boland Park, Paarl, as the tour will be limited to the Western Cape.

“This is a wonderful boost for cricket and, although all the matches will have to be played behind closed doors, I am sure that our Proteas fans will rally behind South Africa’s favourite team as they always do, but just on alternative digital and social media platforms,” the CSA Acting Chief Executive Kugandrie Govender said.

“The fact that England are the current World Cup champions will add tremendously to the two series and will give our own players every motivation to perform at their very best to challenge the reigning champions.”

Govender further said that the match was made possible by the support of the South African government.

“I would like to express CSA’s sincere gratitude to the Departments of Sport, Arts & Culture; Home Affairs; and Health, for the support they have given us to make this return to international cricket in our country a reality, while maintaining that health and safety for all remains the number one priority,” added Govender.

Govender conclude by saying that the tour will reignite the country’s international cricket season.

“While CSA, in partnership with government, has been working really hard to secure the Series, we are thrilled that the tournament will reignite our international cricket season and after the tough year South Africa and the world has experienced, we look forward to bringing cricket joy to our fans, players, and stakeholders.”

“These exciting developments also coincide with CSA’s return to office next week, which we are thrilled about,” concluded Govender.

CSA also thanked England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) for their support.

“This is a first for us and we commit to learn quickly and with great responsiveness as we have an action-packed international season ahead of us,” continued Govender.

ECB’s Chief Executive Officer Tom Harrison said they are looking forward to the tour.

“We are looking forward to touring South Africa. I would like to personally thank Cricket South Africa for their efforts in ensuring this tour goes ahead and their diligent work to create an environment that is safe for our players and staff.They are working tirelessly to pull together a bio-secure plan in Cape Town and Paarl.

“We owe it to the sport that we do everything we can to keep international competition progressing during this pandemic.

“Series against the Proteas are always exciting and intense. We saw that earlier this year in South Africa and we can expect the same this time around.”

The tour will include three T20 Internationals and three One-Day International matches to take place from November 27 to December 9 2020. Teams will only be allowed to play intra-squad tune up matches.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Conservation News

Ghana and Switzerland Sign Historic Pact for Climate Action

Under the agreement, the National Clean Energy Access Programme (NCEP) will be implemented. It is expected to lead to the transfer of mitigation outcomes to Switzerland in exchange for financial resources and the extension of Swiss technical expertise as a demonstration of the scalability of Ghana’s conditional mitigation commitments.

Published

on

The government of Ghana and Switzerland has signed a bilateral pact as a framework for the implementation of Article Six (6) of the Paris Agreement on Climate Change.

After two years of negotiations between the two countries, the signing of the framework agreement marks the first of its kind in Africa, and second in the World. The new partnership will enable the adoption of green and low carbon technology solutions across the country resulting in social and environmentally beneficial outcomes.

With this Agreement, Ghana will receive funding from the Swiss side for sustainable development projects.  Switzerland will take carbon credits from the Ghanaian side for the emission cuts to meet her climate commitments without compromising Ghana’s effort to achieve her own climate actions.

The negotiations between technical teams of Ghana and Switzerland was further boosted by a Memorandum of Understanding signed in Bern between Ghana and Switzerland during the State visit to Switzerland by President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo in February, 2020.

​Read also: https://newscentral.africa/rwanda-to-create-green-energy-bank/

UNDP Administrator Achim Steiner stated, “We are proud to have been able to facilitate the dialogue between Switzerland and Ghana, build trust in the process on both sides and offer our technical support in the implementation…”

Article six (6) of the Paris Agreement on carbon markets is an innovative voluntary instrument available to countries to mobilise finance and catalyse private sector investments for the implementation of nationally determined contributions.

Steiner further explains “…We hope this bilateral agreement will enable Ghana’s national clean energy access programme (NCEP) to fulfil its objectives by abating up to 2 million tonnes of greenhouse gas emissions, providing energy access to millions and head towards a green recovery.”

Read also: https://newscentral.africa/experts-kenya-global-emission-challenge/

In his speech, the President of Ghana H.E Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo represented by the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Shirley Ayorkor Botchway called on the private sector of both countries to consider “this bilateral cooperation as a step to further strengthen collaboration between Swiss and Ghanaian companies to identify commercially viable and sustainable development projects over the next decade”.  

​In formulating this agreement both parties have highlighted practical ways of operationalising the envisioned architecture of Article 6 of the Paris Agreement.

Credit: wri.org

Read also:https://newscentral.africa/fossil-fuel-human-cost-powering-africa/

Under the agreement, the National Clean Energy Access Programme (NCEP) will be implemented. It is expected to lead to the transfer of mitigation outcomes to Switzerland in exchange for financial resources and the extension of Swiss technical expertise as a demonstration of the scalability of Ghana’s conditional mitigation commitments.

Continue Reading

Featured

South Sudan Appoints Awut Deng Acuil as First Woman to Chair University Governing Council

Published

on

South Sudan has appointed Awut Deng Acuil to chair the governing council of the University of Bahr El-Ghazal.

Acuil, a former Minister of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation from August 2019 until March 2020 and the current Minister of General Education and Instructions, became the first woman to be appointed to chair the governing body of a university.

Her appointment was announced in a presidential decree read on the national broadcaster, the South Sudan Broadcasting Corporation.

The university was established in 1991, when South Sudan was still part of Sudan. The country gained its independence in 2011

Acuil was also the first woman to serve as South Sudan’s Minister of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation.

She relinquished the post following the appointment of a unity government in February to end the conflict between rival groups in South Sudan.

Continue Reading

Featured

Limited Number of Fans to attend CAF Champions League Final

Published

on

The Confederation of African Football (CAF) has given the thumbs up for fans to attend the CAF Champions League final between Egyptian giants Zamalek and Al Ahly, according to a board member of the Egyptian Football Association (EFA) Mohamed Fadl.

The final is set for the 27th of November at the Cairo International Stadium, and there were doubts earlier about the attendance of fans on the day amid the coronavirus crisis.

“We contacted CAF regarding fans’ attendance and we got the official approval today,” Fadl told a local TV channel late on Sunday.

“CAF agreed to allow from 5,000 to 10,000 supporters to attend in the stands amid applying all precautionary measures.

“Security authorities will make the final decision within 48 hours and if we got the approval work will start immediately to arrange stadium’s entries and ensure intervals between supporters,” he added.

Zamalek qualified for the final by beating Moroccan side Raja Casablanca with a 4-1 aggregate victory, while Al Ahly got to the final with a victory over another Casablanca based side, Wydad 5-1 on aggregate.

Al Ahly a looking to extend their Champions League record with their ninth title, and their first since 2013. For Zamalek they have won the CAF Champions League five times and re are looking to win the title for the first time since 2002.

Continue Reading

Trending