DR Congo Denies Presence of Wagner Mercenary

DR Congo Denies Presence of Wagner Mercenary (News Central TV)
Russian and Rwandan security forces take measures around the site during election meeting of Current Central African Republic President and presidential candidate Faustin-Archange Touadera, at UCATEX Stadium, ahead of the presidential elections in Bangui, Central African Republic on December 25, 2020. Nacer Talel / Anadolu Agency (Photo by Nacer Talel / ANADOLU AGENCY / Anadolu Agency via AFP)

The Democratic Republic of Congo’s army has denied allegations on the presence of Russia’s mercenary Wagner Group in the country.

Congolese army has been battling the M23 insurgency that has spread to more swathes in the eastern region of the country.

There are reports of the presence of Russian mercenaries in North Kivu province on the government’s invitation to help deal with the rebel group.

DR Congo Becomes Full-Fledged Member of The EAC (News Central TV)
President of Democratic Republic of Congo Felix Tshisekedi attends the visit of the Turkish President at the Palais de la Nation (Palace of the Nation), in Gombe, Lukunga district of Kinshasa, on February 20, 2022. (Photo by Arsene MPIANA / AFP)

M23 spokesperson Willy Ngoma said that they had fought a joint team of the Congolese army and the mercenaries last week in Tongo and Nyamilima fronts in Rutshuru area.

The army spokesperson Major General Sylvain Ekenge however denied the claims.

Your Friends Also Read:  Africa's Corruption Fight: What Must Be Done For Nigeria To Rank Higher?

“The Wagner group is not operating in DR Congo,” he told press men.  Russian mercenaries have a presence in DR Congo’s northern neighbour, Central African Republic, where in 2021 they played a role in fighting rebels.

Few months ago, in London meeting, Congolese President Félix Tshisekedi said he would not bring in Russian mercenaries to deal with the rebel activity his country.

“I know it’s fashionable now . . .[but] no, we don’t need to use mercenaries,” he was quoted as saying by the Financial Times.

The unrest in eastern DR Congo has displaced thousands of people and killed hundreds of people.


All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from News Central TV.
Your Friends Also Read:  South Sudan's VP Riek Machar Ousted by Party

Contact: digital@newscentral.ng

Total
0
Shares

Leave a Reply

Previous Article
Amnesty Urges Ethiopia to Release Detained Rights Workers (News Central TV)

Amnesty Urges Ethiopia to Release Detained Rights Workers

Next Article
City of Cape Town Activates Disaster Operations Centre (News Central TV)

City of Cape Town Activates Disaster Operations Centre

Related Posts