Connect with us

Health

Egypt Donates COVID-19 PPE Worth $150,000 To Kenya1 minute read

Published

on

The Kenyan Government has received a donation of 7,000 pieces of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) from Egypt to aid its fight against coronavirus pandemic (COVID-19).

The shipment worth approximately $150,000 was in fulfilment of the pledge made by Egyptian President Abdel Fattah Al Sisi to contribute $4 million worth of support through the African Union Response Fund to the COVID-19 Pandemic.

The PPE including protective gowns, sterile gloves, face shields, protective goggles, rubber boots and sharps container boxes. They were received by the Health Chief Administrative Secretary, Dr. Rashid Aman and CAS of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Ababu Namwamba.

During the handover, Minister Plenipotentiary Nelly Eloraby Chargé d’Affaires of the Egyptian Embassy in Nairobi said the support was provided “in recognition of Africa’s common destiny, particularly as we face, COVID-19, a common challenge which threatens all of us and necessitates a strong collective response to overcome.”

Meanwhile, close to 1,000 frontline workers in Kenya have been infected with Covid-19, the health ministry said.

The Senate Ad-hoc Committee on Covid-19, Health Chief Administrative Secretary, Dr Mercy Mwangangi, said 16 health workers have died so far.

Mwangangi said the ministry have distributed only 24, 283 Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) to serve all frontline health workers in the country.

As of Wednesday, Kenya reported eight coronavirus-related deaths registered within 24 hours, raising the country’s death toll to 607.

Health

Libya Records Over 800 New COVID-19 Cases

Published

on

Libya’s health agency says the North African country recorded 19 new deaths from coronvirus (COVID-19) complications.

The National Center for Disease Control of Libya, on Monday, in an update, reported 847 new COVID-19 cases were recorded after testing 3,598 suspected samples.

The agency said the figure raises the total confirmed number in the country to 28,796.

Meanwhile, 316 more patients have recovered from the disease and 19 died, raising the total number of recoveries and deaths to 15,384 and 450 respectively.

After the first case was announced in March, Libyan authorities closed the country’s borders, shut down schools and mosques, banned public gatherings, and imposed a curfew in order to prevent infections alongside several other African nations.

China donated medical aid to Libya in June to help the country fight the pandemic, including 834 nucleic acid diagnostic kits, 5,000 medical protective suits, 15,000 N95 face masks, 100,000 surgical masks, 5,000 pairs of goggles, and 5,000 pairs of medical gloves.

Continue Reading

Health

Nigeria’s COVID-19 Death Toll Hits 1,100

Published

on

Nigeria’s death toll from the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic has hit 1,100.

The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) also announced 195 new cases of the dreaded virus.

The NCDC made this known on its official twitter handle on Monday.

According to the agency, the new infection takes the total number of confirmed cases in the country to 57,437.

The health agency sadly reported two new deaths raising the death toll in the country to 1,100.

It also reported that 105 patients who had been treated and had also recovered from the infection were discharged across the country.

The NCDC said that Enugu State recorded the highest number of new cases with 51, followed by Gombe with 40, Lagos with 39, Plateau with 23, and the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), with 15.

Among other states that recorded new cases were Rivers (12), Kaduna (8), Ondo (3), Bauchi (2), Edo (1), and Ogun (1).

According to the agency, till date, 57,437 cases have been confirmed, 48,674 cases have been discharged and 1100 deaths have been recorded in 36 states and the FCT.

The health agency said a multi-sectoral national emergency operation centre (EOC) activated at Level three, had continued to coordinate the national response activities across the country.

Meanwhile, the agency has warned that majority of Nigerian states were not testing enough.

It said, “We do not have enough data coming out of these states to ascertain if we are improving or not or where exactly we are.

“So we have to work together; in summary, it is way too early to make any interpretation whether we are flattening the curve or not.”

The NCDC appealed to more states to test consistently so that progress could be monitored on a national level.

Continue Reading

East Africa News

Coronavirus Strikes Again In Rwanda

Published

on

A 58-year-old man has died from complications arising from the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) disease in Rwanda.

The new death case brings the total death recorded in the country to 27

On the same day, the country recorded 12 new Covid-19 recoveries and 11 positive cases.

Of the new cases, 7 were detected in Kigali among contacts of previously confirmed cases.

Nyamagabe district in Southern Province also confirmed four new Covid-19 cases.

The latest results were obtained from 1,448 sample tests conducted in a single day.

In total, the country has so far carried out 477,379 tests.

So far, in total, the country has confirmed 4,722 Covid-19 cases, of whom 2,973 have already recovered.

Rwanda had imposed restriction on movements in March when they had only a handful of cases, and have since seen only a trickle of infections.

But in August there was a spike and authorities blamed it on complacency, and fatigue with social distancing measures.

“A large number of new COVID-19 patients in the country are infected in public places and in markets and shops. Those are the main places where people take off their masks or wear them badly,” Rwanda’s health ministry said in a statement.

Rwanda — which suspended all public transport, shut borders and businesses and asked people to remain indoors — lifted its lockdown in May.

However shortly after re-opening, cases began to rise, prompting authorities to impose targeted measures on affected districts and villages.

Kigali authorities also shut two crowded markets after tests showed that over 100 traders and their contacts had contracted the virus.

Rwanda also deployed police officers to arrest individuals who are not social distancing or not wearing masks and sends offenders to all-night lectures on the dangers of the coronavirus.

Continue Reading

Trending