Connect with us

North Africa Sports

Egypt’s star Mohammed Salah set to miss friendly against Botswana1 minute read

Salah finished fourth in the balloting for the FIFA best player award last week

Published

on

Salah set to miss Egypt friendly against Botswana
African Footballer of the Year, Egypt and Liverpool striker Mohammed Salah. (Photo by CRISTINA ALDEHUELA / AFP)

Liverpool star Mohamed Salah “must rest” and will miss Egypt’s friendly against Botswana on October 14, national team coach Hossam El Badry said Thursday. The announcement came days after Salah raised eyebrows by changing his Twitter bio to say he only played for Liverpool, removing any mention of his affiliation to Egypt.

Salah finished fourth in the balloting for the FIFA best player award last week, with two of Egypt’s votes rejected by football’s governing body after they were signed in capital letters. El Badry said he spoke to Salah following a report from the national team doctor on the fitness of the squad’s overseas-based players.

“I agreed with him that it is in his best interests and those of the national team that he rests,” El Badry told local channel MBC Masr. “He won’t be with us at the training camp for Botswana, but God willing, he will be with us for the official matches.”

Salah scored twice on Wednesday as holders Liverpool defeated Salzburg 4-3 at home in the Champions League group stage. 

Salah and the Egyptian FA have butted heads before several times, most prominently when a photo of him was plastered on the squad’s plane ahead of the 2018 World Cup, causing sponsorship problems for the star.

El Badry will take charge of his first match as Egypt coach against Botswana following his appointment last month. Egypt begin their qualifying campaign for the 2021 Africa Cup of Nations at home to Kenya in November.

Copyright News Central

All rights reserved. This post and other digital content on this website may not be reproduced, published, broadcasted, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from News Central.

Tell your story the right way

Have you witnessed a news worthy event? Want to become our citizen journalist and tell your own stories?

Send your stories to us or contact us via:
Email: Click to email us
Social media: Twitter and Facebook @NewsCentralTV
WhatsApp: Text or call +234 901 190 0000 .

New stories delivered to your phone

Click here to have news stories delivered to your phone or mail. You can also share your stories with us. Join our mailing list here.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

North Africa Sports

Egyptian giants hand Carteron one year extension

Zamalek announce they have reached an agreement with French coach Patrice Carteron to extend his contract for one more season

Published

on

Zamalek of Egypt have announced they have reached an agreement with French coach Patrice Carteron to extend his contract for one more season. Speaking on the Zamalek TV channel, club president Mortada Mansour said, “Carteron agreed to extend his contract with Zamalek.

“The French coach will sign a one-year contract extension after agreeing with the management and they are currently drafting the terms.

“The Zamalek coach agreed on the fees and everything is going well,” he added. The club did not disclose the financial details of the new contract.

The club’s management didn’t disclose the financial details.

Appointed by the notoriously volatile Mansour in December 2019 to succeed Milutin “Micho” Sredojevic, Carteron has had a strong start to his tenure in a post regarded as the hottest seat in African football.

He led Zamalek to their fourth CAF Super Cup win in February after his side defeated CAF Champions League holders Esperance of Tunisia 3-1 in a match played in Doha, Qatar.

Six days later, Cateron claimed another piece of silverware as Zamalek defeated bitter rivals Al Ahly 4-3 on penalties to win the 2019/20 Egyptian Super Cup, their fourth triumph in the annual game. The hotly contested game, which ended goalless after regulation time, was played in Abu Dhabi, in the United Arab Emirates.

Zamalek have also reached the semi-finals of this season’s CAF Champions League after knocking out defending champions Esperance after defeating them on aggregate 3-2. They will face Moroccan side Raja Casablanca in the semi final if and when the competition resumes.

A widely traveled coach, Carteron is regarded as one of the finest coaches on the African continent. He has previously won the CAF Champions League with TP Mazembe of the Democratic Republic of Congo as well as winning the CAF Super Cup in 2019 with Raja Casablanca.

Cateron possesses experience at international level having coached the Malian national football team, leading them as high as the 21st spot on the monthly FIFA rankings. He also led the Eagles to a bronze medal at the 2013 Africa Cup of Nations after they defeated Ghana 3-1 in the third-place match.

Copyright News Central

All rights reserved. This post and other digital content on this website may not be reproduced, published, broadcasted, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from News Central.

Tell your story the right way

Have you witnessed a news worthy event? Want to become our citizen journalist and tell your own stories?

Send your stories to us or contact us via:
Email: Click to email us
Social media: Twitter and Facebook @NewsCentralTV
WhatsApp: Text or call +234 901 190 0000 .

New stories delivered to your phone

Click here to have news stories delivered to your phone or mail. You can also share your stories with us. Join our mailing list here.

Continue Reading

North Africa Sports

Berraf quits as Algerian Olympic Committee President

Mustapha Berraf’s resignation is confirmed, bringing an end to a three-month impasse at the organization

Published

on

The President of the Algerian Olympic Committee (COA) Mustapha Berraf has resigned from his post, bringing an end to a three-month impasse at the organization. Berraf, a member of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) by virtue of his role as Head of the Association of National Olympic Committees of Africa (ANOCA) had quit as COA President in February.

The 66-year-old – banned from leaving Algeria amid allegations of “squandering of public funds”, which he denies – said at the time he was “tired” of the “repeated attacks” against him and his family.

Berraf had been accused of financial mismanagement during his over 25-year reign as COA President by the Sports Ministry last year. A report from the Algerian sports ministry made damning allegations of doubtful contracts, suspicions of corruption, embezzlement and favouritism.

Berraf had continued to act as President of the COA despite resigning and represented the body on a call the IOC held with National Olympic Committees (NOCs) to discuss Tokyo 2020 in March.

Berraf said his resignation was “irreversible and irrevocable” after it was rejected by the COA Executive Committee. The COA confirmed that its Executive Committee had received and approved his formal resignation letter.

“Resigning from COA will allow me to be fully invested in my function as the President of ANOCA which, as you know, requires my total attention and efforts for the development of sport and Olympism in Africa,” Berraf said.

“This will also allow me to be at the disposal of my peers for a better future.”

COA first vice-president Mohamed Meridja has been appointed Acting President and will hold the position until an elective General Assembly takes place. The Algeria Olympic Committee was created on October 18, 1963, and recognized by the International Olympic Committee in January 27, 1964 on the occasion of the 62nd session held during the 9th Winter Olympic Games in Innsbruck, Austria.

The beleagured Berraf still faces further allegations of mismanagement in his role as ANOCA President, while he is also the subject of an investigation by the IOC Ethics Commission. Two African NOCs have reportedly raised doubts over his continued eligibility as ANOCA President after leaving the COA.

Copyright News Central

All rights reserved. This post and other digital content on this website may not be reproduced, published, broadcasted, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from News Central.

Tell your story the right way

Have you witnessed a news worthy event? Want to become our citizen journalist and tell your own stories?

Send your stories to us or contact us via:
Email: Click to email us
Social media: Twitter and Facebook @NewsCentralTV
WhatsApp: Text or call +234 901 190 0000 .

New stories delivered to your phone

Click here to have news stories delivered to your phone or mail. You can also share your stories with us. Join our mailing list here.

Continue Reading

North Africa Sports

Pharaohs goalkeeping coach dies from coronavirus

The Egyptian Football Association (EFA) has announced the death of goalkeeping coach Mohamed Abdo from coronavirus

Published

on

The Egyptian Football Association (EFA) has announced that the goalkeeping coach of the national team Mohamed Abdo has died from coronavirus.

Abdo was a member of the Itai El-Baroud Youth center team. He was a player there before he started training the junior side and later moved to the first team and then worked in Saudi Arabia for a while.

A member of Itai El-Baroud board Mahmoud El-Feki said Abdo was ill and quarantined but insisted he was not suffering from coronavirus.

“Abdo suffered about 9 days ago from illness.”

“The result of analyzes came positive and was quarantined in Kafr El Dawwar.” He added.

“I was in contact with him and he told me that he is not sick with corona, but we confirmed that he had the virus from the hospital statement.”

“We are now waiting for the body to be released from the hospital,” he said.

Managing director of the Badr Club Abdullah Ali also spoke about Mohamed Abdo.

“He started working with us as a goalkeeper coach in January.”

“We knew previously that he was ill, but we did not confirm at the time whether he was ill with corona or not.” Ali said.

The EFA chaired by Amr El-Ganyani and members of the Board of Directors offered condolences in an official statement published by the Egyptian Federation to the family of the 59-year old who was also working at third division club side Badr.

This is the first death amongst the football governing body of Egypt since the outbreak of the Coronavirus pandemic.

The Egyptian Football League had suspended due to the coronavirus outbreak.

There have been some cases reported among some Egyptian players for the past two months, but nothing official has been announced regarding the issue.

Copyright News Central

All rights reserved. This post and other digital content on this website may not be reproduced, published, broadcasted, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from News Central.

Tell your story the right way

Have you witnessed a news worthy event? Want to become our citizen journalist and tell your own stories?

Send your stories to us or contact us via:
Email: Click to email us
Social media: Twitter and Facebook @NewsCentralTV
WhatsApp: Text or call +234 901 190 0000 .

New stories delivered to your phone

Click here to have news stories delivered to your phone or mail. You can also share your stories with us. Join our mailing list here.

Continue Reading

Trending