Connect with us

North Africa Sports

Egypt’s World Taekwondo Vice President Fouly Dies2 minutes read

Published

on

World Taekwondo Vice President General Ahmed Fouly has passed away at the age of 70. He died on Sunday 27 September and was the head of World Taekwondo Africa since 2004.

The Egyptian suffered a heart attack last month after undergoing surgery and World Taekwondo said his condition had since “very sadly deteriorated”.

A memorial altar was set up in his honour at the federation’s headquarters in Seoul. The memorial stood for two days and saw a number of people from the World Taekwondo family and staff visit it to pay tribute to their colleague and friend. Among those to visit were World Taekwondo Vice President Kyuseok Lee, Council Member Jinbankg Yang and representatives from the Korea Taekwondo Association, Taekwondo Promotion Foundation

World Taekwondo President Chungwon Choue has led the tributes to the late vice president of the organization. In a letter to the organisation’s vice-presidents, Council representatives and Member Federations,Choue said the sport “had lost a great man” and his contributions to taekwondo “would never be forgotten”

“Since 2001 when he became a member of the World Taekwondo Council and especially since 2004 when I appointed him as vice-president of World Taekwondo, General Fouly dedicated his life to elevating our beloved martial art and sport to what we are today – one of the best governed Olympic and Paralympic international sport federations in the world,” Choue wrote.

“For those of us who know General Fouly personally, we have lost a great friend and brother.

“Throughout my Presidency and especially in my personal life, General Fouly was one of the most trusted, trustworthy and supportive friends that anyone could have had.

“I was truly blessed to have met General Fouly and to have called him my brother.

“Our brother may be gone, but his contributions to taekwondo will never be forgotten.

“My memories of General Fouly and love for him as my brother will never be forgotten.”

Fouly, a longstanding President of the Egyptian Taekwondo Federation, had overseen increasing success for African countries in the sport.

African taekwondo players earned five medals at the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, including Cheick Sallah Cissé of the Ivory Coast’s gold in the men’s under-80 kilograms division.

“In his capacity as President of World Taekwondo Africa, General Fouly oversaw the meteoric rise of taekwondo in the region,” Choue said.

“Five medals from Africa under his leadership at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games truly demonstrated the universality of taekwondo to the world.

“Taekwondo is now one of the most popular sports in Africa, and continues to produce champions on and off the mat.”

North Africa Sports

Egyptian, 75, Becomes World’s Oldest Soccer Pro

Published

on

Egyptian grandfather Ezzeldin Bahader has been recognised as the world’s oldest professional soccer player after completing a second full match just short of his 75th birthday.

Bahader was awarded the title by Guinness World Records on Saturday evening after missing a penalty kick as his team, 6th October FC, lost 3-2 to El Ayat Sports club in the Egyptian third division.

The former amateur player, who turns 75 on Nov. 3, scored a goal from the penalty spot in his debut match on March.

He planned to play a second 90-minute match the same month to claim his record, but the suspension of sports activities to contain the spread of the coronavirus put his plans on hold.

Bahader had previously told media he was 75, which he attributed to “rounding up”.

Having him on the team had allowed 6th October FC to gain sponsors and publicity, he said.

Some of Bahader’s six grandchildren attended Saturday’s match, chanting “Come on, Grandpa” from the touchline.

“I dream of being able to break my own record one more time, just to make the competition a little harder,” Bahader said, though he is now out of contract.

The record was previously held by 73-year-old Israeli Isaak Hayik.

Continue Reading

North Africa

Zamalek Take First-Leg Lead in CAF Champions League Semi-Final

Published

on

Achraf Bencharki headed in the only goal as Zamalek defeated hosts Raja Casablanca in the first leg of the second semi-final of the 2019/20 CAF Champions League.

The Moroccan international winger stunned the hosts in the 18th minute at an empty Stade Mohamed V, heading home a fine cross from Ahmed Sayed Zizo’s cross. It was the 25-year-old’s seventh goal on his seventh appearance in the competition this season. The goal was doubly painful for the hosts as Bencharki was a former star at bitter rivals Wydad Casablanca who he helped win the 2017 CAF Champions League.

The five-time African champions, survived an early scare when Raja’s Soufiane Rahimi went down in the box appealing for a penalty which was waved away by Cameroonian referee Alioum Alioum. Then after nine minutes Raja captain Mohsine Moutaouali teed up Abdelilah Hafidi, but his first time shot flew straight to the keeper.

After the goal, the hosts poured forward in search of a leveller and came close three minutes to half time. Rahimi forced a brilliant save from Zamalek keeper Mohamed Abou Gabal with a well-angled header that had the shot-stopper stretching full length to his left to parry away the effort for a corner.

In the second half, Youssef Obama almost doubled Zamalek’s lead only to see his close-range shot charged down. Raja coach Jamal Sellami made four changes in a bid to find an equalizer. In the 66th minute, they had a flurry of chances.

Badr Benoun’s rifling freekick went against the wall and the rebound fell on Fabrice Ngoma. However, the midfielder’s effort also struck a flurry of bodies inside the box and when the ball was recycled again to him, his flying shot was parried away by the keeper.

Late in the game, Rahimi had a pair of chances that went wasted. His first effort at the stroke of fulltime was deflected for a corner after stretching to direct a headed ball towards goal. His second opportunity was better when he was picked out a by a through ball on the right but he blasted the ball over.

A visibly disappointed Sellami believed his team deserved more from the game. “I believe we deserved a draw at least,” he said.

“I thank my players because they gave their all despite the difficult situation we had. I cannot blame any player today and we were the better side all over the game. We still have a chance in the return leg in Cairo and I believe we are still capable of reaching the final.”

The result puts Zamalek’s quest of securing a sixth Champions League title and back to back continental silverware firmly on course after they won the CAF Confederation Cup last season. This was also Zamalek’s second win over Raja in three CAF Club Competition matches. For Raja, this was only their second defeat in 23 home matches in the Champions League. It was a complete opposite for Zamalek who came to the tie with a poor away record, having only won one in 13.

Zamalek coach Jaime Pacheco made it clear that his team was not celebrating just yet. “My players played to my instructions and we achieved a good result away from home,’ he said.

“We felt exhausted because we had many domestic games in a short time, but we were brave enough to have this game tonight. Nothing is won yet, we have to remain focused in the return leg and achieve our target by going through to the final.”

The White Knights will host the Moroccan champions in the reverse fixture in Cairo on October 24. Last week, three-time African champions Raja Casablanca ended a thrilling Moroccan Botola Pro league campaign to win their first title since 2013.

Only on Saturday, fellow Egyptian Premier League giants Al Ahly had beaten Wydad Casablanca 2-0 in the first leg of the other semi-final fixture in Casablanca, thanks to goals from Mohamed Magdy and Ali Maaloul.

The CAF Champions League final is scheduled to take place in Egypt on November 6. However, the Confederation of African Football noted that it could still hold in Morocco if the two teams from the country (Wydad and Raja) overturn their first-leg deficits and qualify.

Continue Reading

North Africa Sports

Fan Banned For Racially Abusing Egyptian Star Salah

Published

on

Bradley Thumwood, a 48-year-old West Ham fan, has been banned from football for three years for racially abusing Liverpool’s Egyptian star, Mohamed Salah.

Thumwood was caught on camera racially abusing the Egyptian Muslim winger during a game between Liverpool and West Ham in February 2019.

The West ham fan from Bexleyheath was caught on camera saying “Salah you f****** Muslim. F****** Muslim c***. F*** off”.

He appeared at Thames Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday, where he pleaded guilty to a racially aggravated Section 5 public order offense.

The court handed Thumwood a three-year ban from football and a £400 fine, in addition to ordering him to pay a victim surcharge and costs of £215.

A West Ham spokesperson said in a press release from the Metropolitan Police: “West Ham United is unequivocal in its stance – we have a zero-tolerance approach to any form of discrimination.

“Equality and diversity are at the heart of the football club and we are committed to continue ensuring that everyone who enters London Stadium is free to enjoy watching their team play football in an inclusive environment.

“The club works closely with Kick It Out and our fan group BAME Hammers. In conjunction with those parties, the club will offer educational sessions to the individual in question in an effort to reform their views, whilst reserving the right to uphold their indefinite bans, should those efforts prove unsuccessful.”

The Metropolitan Police’s dedicated football officer PC Andy Sheldon said: “We do not, and will not tolerate hate crime of any kind at football matches and will take action against those who are found to have committed these kinds of crimes during games.

“We are committed to working closely with football clubs to identify anyone behaving inappropriately and breaking the law. We are grateful for the support of West Ham United Football Club and for their commitment to eradicating this type of behaviour.

“We ask anyone who sees or hears this type of behaviour to speak to stewards or police.”

Continue Reading

Trending