Connect with us

News

Embattled ex-Governor of Nairobi, Sonko, Hospitalised Ahead of Court Session

Sonko on Tuesday denied a total of 12 counts levelled against him. His lawyers claim the charges against Sonko were politically motivated due to public statements he made recently linking Interior Principal Secretary Karanja Kibicho to the 2017 violence.

Published

on

Former Nairobi Governor Mike Sonko was hospitalised Monday night after falling ill in police custody.

Police said Sonko was whisked away to the Nairobi Hospital from Gigiri Police Station in an ambulance after complaining of stomach upset.

Ex Governor Mike Sonko

Sonko was scheduled to appear before magistrates at the Kiambu and Kahawa West courts for cases of robbery and terrorism.

The magistrate at Kiambu Law Courts was set to rule on Sonko’s bail application in a robbery with violence and assault case which he denied last week while the Kahawa West court was to rule on an application by police to detain him for 30 days in order to conclude a terror probe.

Sonko on Tuesday denied a total of 12 counts levelled against him. His lawyers claim the charges against Sonko are politically motivated due to public statements he made recently linking Interior Principal Secretary Karanja Kibicho to the 2017 violence.

Some opine that the prosecution were connected to accusations he levelled against President Uhuru Kenyatta during a roadside rally in Narok after the President mentioned in a meeting that the Governor was impeached due to incompetence.

Sonko denied the charges when he was arraigned at the Kiambu Law Courts on Tuesday and was ordered remanded at the Gigiri Police Station for two days to enable police conclude investigations.

The charges read out to him on Tuesday stated that he assaulted two persons in Buru Buru in 2019, leaving them with serious injuries. The charges include assault causing bodily harm, robbery with violence and destruction of property. Sonko was impeached in November for gross misconduct, graft and abuse of office.

Join our newsletter


Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Environment

Two sentenced for Illegal Possession of Pangolin

Zambia Wildlife Act No 14 of 2015 stipulates a minimum sentence of five years imprisonment, without the option of a fine for persons found in illegal possession of pangolins, their scales, or other body parts.

Published

on

A police officer and a wildlife ranger in Zambia have been sentenced to five years imprisonment with hard labour for being in possession of a live pangolin.

Mr. Sakabilo Kalembwe from the Ministry of Tourism and Arts Public Relations Officer named the affected officials as Bertha Katanda, a wildlife officer from the department and John Pende, an officer in the Zambia police service.

Sakabilo Kalembwe

Mr. Kalembwe said the jailing of the two officers attests to the nation’s zero tolerance for wildlife crimes. 

“The Lusaka subordinate court has sentenced Bertha Katanda (42), a Wildlife Police Officer from the Department of National Parks and Wildlife (DNPW), and John Pende (54), an Officer from the Zambia Police Service, to five years imprisonment with hard labour for unlawful possession of a live pangolin. The duo was jointly charged with two other persons, for Unlawful Possession of the Protected Animal contrary to section 130 (1) ZWA No. 14 of 2015. Two other suspects in the matter were acquitted” he said.

Zambia Wildlife Act No 14 of 2015 stipulates a minimum sentence of five years imprisonment, without the option of a fine for persons found in illegal possession of pangolins, their scales, or other body parts.  

Read also: https://newscentral.africa/zim-healer-arrested-for-wrongful-possession-of-2000-python-skin/

Each decade, over a million pangolins are poached especially from Africa and sent to China. Due to their prolific insectivorous diet, pangolins are significant in pest control, often eating insects that negatively impact crop production.

Join our newsletter


Continue Reading

East Africa News

Tanzania’s Electric SGR Operations Gets Power Boost

Energy minister for Tanzania Medard Kalemani has confirmed that the construction of power lines between Kinyerezi in Dar es Salaam and Kingorwira in Morogoro was complete and that Tanzania Electric Supply Company Limited (Tanesco) was set to supply the Tanzania Railways Corporation (TRC) locomotives.

Published

on

Energy minister for Tanzania Medard Kalemani has confirmed that the construction of power lines between Kinyerezi in Dar es Salaam and Kingorwira in Morogoro was complete and that Tanzania Electric Supply Company Limited (Tanesco) was set to supply the Tanzania Railways Corporation (TRC) locomotives.

Speaking at a Tanesco workshop on Sunday, he said

“We have invested Tsh71.1 billion (about $30.7 million) in building the necessary power infrastructure for the first phase of the SGR. The project is 100 per cent done,” he said, detailing a number of other projects that the government has implemented in the energy sector.

Dr Kalemani, who doubles as Chato MP dismissed concerns that SGR train operations could be disrupted in times of power cuts. He explained that the locomotives will have inbuilt power-saving systems capable of retaining charge for at least one hour.

Medard Kalemani

He further explained that in an effort to meet the 5,000 megawatts target by 2025, Tanzania was currently undertaking some power generation projects which includes the 2,115 megawatts (MW) Julius Nyerere Hydropower Station.

Tanesco’s managing director Tito Mwinuka said although the country’s current demand is 1,180MW of electricity, Tanzania now produces 1,604 MW.

Mwinuka showed confidence in the progress recorded and promised it will be completed by June 2022.

He further added that the Tsh6.5 trillion ($2.8 billion) Julius Nyerere Hydropower Station had strategic importance to Tanzania’s economic outlook and that the government deserved commendation for its implementation.

Join our newsletter


Continue Reading

News

Breaking: Veteran Broadcaster Sadiq Daba is Dead

Published

on

Sadiq Abubakar Daba, Ace broadcaster and Nollywood actor, is dead. The popular TV host and actor reportedly died on Wednesday evening after a long and harrowing battle with leukaemia and prostate cancer.

A Senior official of the Nigerian Television Authority confirmed the passing of the veteran broadcaster.

Sadiq Abubakar Daba

Daba was married to Bolaji Daba and has 2 children and 6 grandchildren. Although Daba hails from Kano state, he grew up in Sierra Leonne. He won the AMAA 2015 Best Actor Award for his role as ‘Inspector Waziri’ ‘in Kunle Afolayan’s October 1.

Details Shortly….   

Join our newsletter


Continue Reading

Trending