Connect with us

News

Ethiopia Sacks 40 Government Officials Over Violence2 minutes read

Published

on

No fewer than 40 regional government officials have been sacked over ethnic-related violence in the country’s state of Benishangul-Gumuz.

The violence led to the death of dozens and hundreds were displaced last week.

The ruling Prosperity Party (PP), in a statement, added that ten of the officials are now under investigation.

Five districts in the state have been put under military control to contain the violence.

The Ethiopian Human Rights Commission (EHRC) said it was deeply alarmed by the violence, which targeted civilians.

In a pre-dawn attack on Friday, at least 15 people, including four women, were killed. Attacks earlier in the month left 30 people dead, although activists say the number could be as high as 80.

Four of the victims in Friday’s pre-dawn assault in Benishangul-Gumuz region’s Metekel Zone were women, the EHRC said in a statement.

At least two instances of violence earlier this month in the same region bordering Sudan had resulted in the killing of civilians and forced at least 300 people from their homes.

“Civilians are being subjected to repeated attacks with unmitigated cruelty in Benishangul-Gumuz,” said Daniel Bekele, the head of the EHRC.

“Federal and regional authorities should take the required steps to enforce the rule of law and bring perpetrators to account,” Bekele added.

It said the Ethiopian National Defense Force engaged in a shoot-out with fighters in the area and was able to restore calm by Friday afternoon.

One person sustained non life-threatening wounds, it added.

The attack poses the latest security challenge for the government of Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed.

Abiy, who came to power in 2018, has implemented sweeping reforms which have won him international praise but also lifted the lid on long-repressed tensions between the country’s many ethnic groups.

Most of the victims in the attacks were said to be from the Amhara and Agew ethnic groups.

It is not clear who the perpetrators were.

On Sunday, the authorities from Amhara state accused officials in Benishangul-Gumuz of not doing enough to prevent the violence.

The Amhara state spokesperson added that his region’s government was “running out of patience”.

There is concern about the increasing ethnic-related violence in Ethiopia. It is seen as one of the most pressing challenges for Prime Minister and Nobel Peace Prize winner Abiy Ahmed.

News

140 Migrants Drown Off Senegal’s Coast, Says IOM

Published

on

The United Nation’s International Organization for Migration (IOM) has said no fewer than 140 migrants bound for Europe drowned off the coast of Senegal when their boat sank.

The boat was said to be carrying around 200 people at the time of the incident last weekend.

The boat caught fire and capsized on Saturday, shortly after leaving the town of Mbour, the agency said.

About 60 people were rescued, according to reports.

It is believed the migrants were attempting to reach mainland Europe via Spain’s Canary Islands.

This route from West Africa has grown in popularity since 2018.

Saturday’s incident was the deadliest of its kind anywhere in the world this year, the UN said.

“We call for unity between governments, partners and the international community to dismantle trafficking and smuggling networks that take advantage of desperate youth,” said Bakary Doumbia, IOM’s representative in Senegal.

According to the Spanish government, more than 11,000 arrivals have been recorded in the Canary Islands this year compared with 2,557 during the same period last year.

A previous peak, in 2006, saw 35,000 migrants arrive in the archipelago, the UN said.

At least 414 people are known to have died along this route so far this year according to the IOM. A total of 210 fatalities were recorded on the same stretch in the whole of 2019.

Continue Reading

News

22 Boko Haram Fighters Killed In Failed Bid To Raid Nigerian Army Camp

Published

on

The Nigerian Army killed no fewer than 22 Boko Haram members when the terrorist group attempted to raid a military camp in Damboa, Borno State.

According to a statement by the Coordinator Defence Media Operations, Major General John Enenche, the Boko Haram fighters attacked Army Super Camp but were subdued by the superior firepower of the troops.

“Troops of Operation FIRE BALL under Operation LAFIYA DOLE has continued to decimate members of the Boko Haram/ Islamic State of West Province in order clear the remnants of the terrorists from the theatre,” the statement read.

“Consequently, on 25 October 2020 in what could appear to be a suicide journey the BokoHaram/Islamic State of West African Province attacked the well fortified Army Super Camp Damboa under 25 Bde in Sector 2.

“The terrorists met their waterloo as they were pounded with superior fire power and additional fire support from the Air Task Force. The criminals withdrew in rout as they could not withstand the well organised and determined soldiers during the encounter”.

The statement added that “the Boko Haram terrorists suffered severe casualties as 22 terrorists were neutralized others escaped with varying degrees of gunshot wounds, 2 Gun trucks destroyed, One NSV Anti Aircraft Gun, 2 Rocket Propelled Grenade Tubes, 4 PKT Machine guns, One General Purpose Machine Gun, One Browning Machine Gun, 12Ak 47 Rifles, One AK 74 Rifle were recovered.


Others were, “one RPG 7 bomb, 116 Rounds of 7.62mm NATO and 2 Hand grenades were recovered from the terrorists.

“Few of own soldiers were wounded in action and have since been evacuated and receiving medical treatment”.

“The troops of Operation Fire Ball under operation LAFIYA DOLE are hereby commended for the resilience, doggednes and commitment exhibited since the beginning of Operation FIRE BALL. They are equally encouraged not to rest on their oars but build on the successes recorded.

“The entire populace of the North East are hereby assured of the Nigerian military high command determination to finally rout the remnants the BHT/ISWAP criminals from their enclaves in this zone.”

Continue Reading

Central Africa News

Militants Kill 18 In DR Congo

Published

on

At least 18 people have died when Allied Democratic Forces (ADF) militants attacked Bayeti village, Mamove locality in Beni territory of the eastern Nord Kivu province in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

The attack and killings is the latest incident in a region where the army and UN forces are fighting several armed groups.

The ADF victims, most of them in their homes, were killed by gunshots and knives.

The attackers also set fire to several homes, churches, and businesses at 19:00 local time on Wednesday, they said.

The head of a civil society group in Mamove, Kinos Katuho, said locals had spotted the attackers earlier in the day.

“The residents had seen the enemy [attackers] from midday. We had gone to report to the FARDC [army] elements based in Bayeti, but they were unable to prevent the attack and protect the population,” he is quoted as saying by the Actualité website.

At least 42 people have been killed by the ADF in Mamove since 3 October, Mr Katuho said.

The ADF, whose origin is Uganda, has been blamed for many attacks in eastern DR Congo in the past few years. Many other armed groups also operate in the region.

In the past year, the Islamic State group (IS) has claimed responsibility for several attacks blamed on the ADF.

Continue Reading

Trending