Ethiopia’s Prime Minister, Abiy Ahmed, has removed his Chief of General Staff, Gen Adem Mohammed, and replaced him with his deputy Gen Berhanu Jula.
It is not clear if Mohammed was removed over the ongoing fighting between Ethiopian forces and the military in the East African country’s semi-autonomous region of Tigray.
Also removed were the Intelligence chief, Demelash Gebremichael, who has been replaced with Amhara state Temesgen Tiruneh. Gebremichael becomes a police commissioner; Demeke Mekonen, who is deputy prime minister, replaces Gedu Andargachew as foreign minister.
Prime Minister Ahmed’s office announced the reshuffle on Twitter – no reason was given for the changes.
The changes come a day after the parliament, in an emergency session, voted to dissolve the government of Tigray, saying it had “violated the constitution and endangered the constitutional system”.
Long-standing tensions between the central government and the local administration in Tigray boiled over into clashes last Wednesday.
Dozens of casualties have been reported with reports of more air strikes.
There are fears the conflict could lead to civil war, which could also destabilise neighbouring countries.
It says nine million people are at high risk of being displaced by the fighting. Aid cannot reach Tigray as it has been sealed off – and communication with the region has also been cut off.
Debretsion Gebremichael, the sacked Tigray leader, has now called on the African Union to intervene to stop the country from spiralling into civil war.
In a televised statement, he said Tigray would continue to defend itself until the federal government agreed to negotiate.
Last Wednesday, Mr Abiy ordered a military offensive, after an army base in Mekelle was taken over by forces loyal to the regional government of Tigray.
The cabinet also declared a state of emergency in the northern region, which borders Eritrea, for six months.
Ethiopian Forces Capture Tigray’s Capital In Final Offensive
Ethiopian forces have captured Mekelle, the Tigrayan capital.
Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed announced this in tweets on Saturday, as he said the “Tigrayan criminals” will now be hunted by the Federal Police.
Ahmed on Friday met African envoys in Addis Ababa and reiterated that civilians in the region will not be harmed in the final offensive.
“I am pleased to share that we have completed and ceased the military operations in the #Tigray region.
“Our focus now will be on rebuilding the region and providing humanitarian assistance while Federal Police apprehend the TPLF clique.”
He said the town is now under the control of National Defence Forces, as humanitarian assistance will be provided to inhabitants of the region.
Recall that Ethiopia earlier announced that a Tigrayan town, Wikro, 50km north of Mekelle has been captured.
Tigray officials are yet to react to the Prime Minister’s claims as the region has been cut off from internet and phone access.
Both forces have been at daggers drawn since the 4th of November when Ethiopia accused Tigrayan forces of attacking state properties.
Police Probe Killing of Over 45 Ugandans in Kampala Protests
The Police in Uganda have kicked off an investigation into the crackdown on protesters last week, that led to the death of over 45 people.
Supporters of the National Unity Platform presidential candidate Robert Kyagulanyi, also known as Bobi Wine, had protested his arrest and detention by authorities for breaching COVID-19 protocols at his campaign rallies. Local and international media reports say
the demonstrations were met with a violent crackdown by the police.
Bobi Wine has since been released and is now back on the campaign trail.
Police spokesperson, Fred Enanga, however, said that investigation into the deaths will “identify mistakes” that led to the “collateral damage”.
Meanwhile, the European Union has already called for a “full and independent” investigation into the role of the police in the death of the protesters.
The EU – in a joint statement with the diplomatic missions to Uganda from Austria, Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, the Netherlands, Sweden as well as Iceland and Norway – added that the perpetrators must be held accountable for their actions.
The statement read; “… the deaths of dozens of people amidst widespread violence marred the electoral campaign on 18th and 19th of November. We offer our sincere condolences to the families of the victims, reportedly including innocent bystanders.”
Last week, Uganda witnessed rioting, chaos as well as disproportionate use of force by security services. The Government of Uganda and its institutions have the responsibility to ensure the safety, security and dignified treatment of all citizens, including electoral candidates and their supporters, in line with national laws and Uganda’s international human rights commitments.
The statement went on to urge all political parties and electoral candidates to call upon their supporters to refrain from violence and inflammatory language, and to take firm action to end any provocation or incitement to violence or any unlawful action. All political parties, candidates and their supporters should ensure the full implementation of the COVID-19 Standard Operating Procedures and the relevant regulations designed to curb the spread of the virus.
The launch of a full and independent investigation into the events of 18th and 19th of November has been proposed, to ensure justice for victims and to avoid impunity for the perpetrators who must be held accountable for their actions.”
Uganda Jails Former Presidential Aspirant Three Years for Abusing Judges
Ivan Samuel Ssebadduka, a former presidential aspirant in Uganda, has been jailed three years by the country’s Supreme Court for using abusive language against the judges, including calling them a “council of fools”.
The 36-year-old was jailed for contempt of court and will spend the next three years in Uganda Government Prison Kitalya.
Ssebadduka had in September filed a petition at the Supreme Court, seeking to stop a requirement for presidential aspirants to collect nomination signatures.
He also wanted the court to suspend the coronavirus safety restrictions issued by the health ministry on the conduct of campaign rallies.
He used the offensive remarks while defending the petition before the judges.
Chief Justice Alfonse Owinyi-Dollo was quoted as saying that criticism against judges should be accurate and fair, and should not infringe on the the rights of others.
On November 11, local media reported that Ssebadduka, a week after he was summoned by the Supreme Court to explain why he shouldn’t be found guilty for contempt of court after using abusive language against Judges, followed up with more insults. He described the Justices as incompetent, saying the accusations of contempt of court are baseless because the justices can’t challenge him legally.
“We didn’t offend you or you’re so-called Supreme Court because it is not a court in the first place. It is a Council of fools…” Ssebadduka’s response to the summons read in part.
He added, “It is very unfortunate that we entrust you with the judiciary because you don’t deserve to be judges. A judge must have judgment but it is very unfortunate that you don’t have common sense, which is common”, reads his response in part.
After the ruling, Ssebadduka was immediately handcuffed by security and driven to his next home of three years.
The Supreme court decision in Uganda is final as it is the last appellate court in the country, and unless the justices choose, for some reason, to review their decision or Ssebadduka gets a presidential pardon, he will be expected to serve his entire jail term.
Breaking News: Tanker catches fire at Magboro, Lagos-Ibadan Expressway
Money Transfer; CBN Changes Rule on Remittance
Champions League: 6 African Youngsters Feature As RB Salzburg Defeat Lokomotiv Moscow
World Aids Day; Ending HIV/AIDS Epidemic 2
Rice Farmers’ Murder: Ezekwesili Calls For Nigeria’s President Buhari Medical Report
Popular Nigerian cleric, Prophet Israel Oladele Ogundipe Jailed for Fraud
Zimbabwean Millionaire, Ginimbi, To Be Buried With Dollars
Made In Lagos Or A Better Time
Kenya’s Kenyatta University Beats UK’s Oxford In Law Competition
NC Reports // Cameroon’s Anglophone Crisis
Entertainment5 days ago
Queen Sono Series Is Not Coming Back To TV Screens
Entertainment5 days ago
Kelly Rowland Samples Afro Beat Musician Fela In Her Newly Released Single “Hitman”
Central Africa Sports News5 days ago
Equatorial Guinea, Most Improved African Team In New FIFA Ranking
News3 days ago
Seven Killed, Houses Razed in Attack on Jemaa Community in Kaduna, Nigeria
Health4 days ago
Nigeria’s COVID-19 Deaths Hit 1171, New Cases 246
News3 days ago
President Ghazouani Doubles Pension, Allowances on Mauritania’s 60th Independence
East Africa News3 days ago
Tigray Conflict: Sudan Shows Traditional Hospitality to Refugees – UN
News5 days ago
Top Religious Leader Says North Is Worst Place To Be In Nigeria