Connect with us

East Africa Politics News

Ethiopian Army Captures Strategic Town In Tigray

Published

on

The Ethiopian government on Monday announced the capturing of a strategic town from Tigray People’s Liberation Front (TPLF) fighters in the restive Tigray regional state.

“The Ethiopian National Defence Forces (ENDF) have liberated the town of Alamata in Raya from the Tigray People’s Liberation Front (TPLF) junta,’’ the state of emergency task force, established by the federal government to watch over the ongoing military operations against the TPLF, said in a statement early Monday.

“The control of Almata by the ENDF is another demonstration that the operation to ensure rule of law is proceeding effectively with all the necessary cautions not to affect civilians,’’ the statement read.

Since the early hours of Nov. 4, the Ethiopian government has been undertaking military operations against the TPLF, which rules over Ethiopia’s northernmost Tigray regional state.

The federal government’s operation followed the TPLF’s attack on the Northern command base of the Ethiopian Defence Force, a division stationed in the region for over two decades and based in Mekelle city, capital of Tigray region.

According to the Ethiopian government, as the TPLF fighters were defeated in Alamata but took around 10,000 prisoners and fled.

The federal government also accused the TPLF of recruiting child soldiers, saying “residents say many youth above the age of 14 had already fled the area for fear of being recruited by the TPLF.’’

On Nov. 15, Ethiopian Prime Minister, Abiy Ahmed said the ongoing military operation in Tigray regional state is progressing well.

“Our campaign in the Tigray region to uphold rule of law is progressing well,’’ he said. “Justice will prevail. Ethiopia will prevail.’’

“By advancing rule of law and holding accountable those that have been looting, destabilising Ethiopia, we will lay the foundation for lasting peace and harmony.

“Those who are committing crimes against humanity and peace will be held accountable. We remain steadfast in our resolve to justice and rule of law,’’ Ahmed said.

“Thanks to the exceptional valor and commitment of its sons and daughters, Ethiopia is more than capable of attaining the objectives of the operation by itself,’’ he added.

In recent weeks, there have been rising tensions between Ethiopia’s ruling Prosperity Party and the TPLF, with each side accusing the other of trying to destabilise the country.

The Ethiopian federal government has been frequently accusing the TPLF, which was one of the four coalition fronts of Ethiopia’s former ruling party, the Ethiopian People’s Revolutionary Democratic Front (EPRDF), of masterminding various treasonous acts across different parts of the country.

Three of the former four EPRDF coalition members joined other regional parties in 2019 in establishing the Prosperity Party, as the TPLF refused to join.

The escalating tensions between the federal government and the TPLF exacerbated in September this year, when the Tigray regional government decided to go with its planned regional elections.

The election which the Ethiopian parliament had previously postponed due to the ongoing COVID-19.

East Africa Politics News

Ethiopian Forces Capture Tigray’s Capital In Final Offensive

Published

on

Ethiopian forces have captured Mekelle, the Tigrayan capital.

Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed announced this in tweets on Saturday, as he said the “Tigrayan criminals” will now be hunted by the Federal Police.

Ahmed on Friday met African envoys in Addis Ababa and reiterated that civilians in the region will not be harmed in the final offensive.

“I am pleased to share that we have completed and ceased the military operations in the #Tigray region.

“Our focus now will be on rebuilding the region and providing humanitarian assistance while Federal Police apprehend the TPLF clique.”

He said the town is now under the control of National Defence Forces, as humanitarian assistance will be provided to inhabitants of the region.

Recall that Ethiopia earlier announced that a Tigrayan town, Wikro, 50km north of Mekelle has been captured.

Tigray officials are yet to react to the Prime Minister’s claims as the region has been cut off from internet and phone access.

Both forces have been at daggers drawn since the 4th of November when Ethiopia accused Tigrayan forces of attacking state properties.

Continue Reading

East Africa Politics News

Police Probe Killing of Over 45 Ugandans in Kampala Protests

Published

on

The Police in Uganda have kicked off an investigation into the crackdown on protesters last week, that led to the death of over 45 people.

Supporters of the National Unity Platform presidential candidate Robert Kyagulanyi, also known as Bobi Wine, had protested his arrest and detention by authorities for breaching COVID-19 protocols at his campaign rallies. Local and international media reports say

the demonstrations were met with a violent crackdown by the police.

Bobi Wine has since been released and is now back on the campaign trail.

Police spokesperson, Fred Enanga, however, said that investigation into the deaths will “identify mistakes” that led to the “collateral damage”.

Meanwhile, the European Union has already called for a “full and independent” investigation into the role of the police in the death of the protesters.

The EU – in a joint statement with the diplomatic missions to Uganda from Austria, Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, the Netherlands, Sweden as well as Iceland and Norway – added that the perpetrators must be held accountable for their actions.

The statement read; “… the deaths of dozens of people amidst widespread violence marred the electoral campaign on 18th and 19th of November. We offer our sincere condolences to the families of the victims, reportedly including innocent bystanders.”

Last week, Uganda witnessed rioting, chaos as well as disproportionate use of force by security services. The Government of Uganda and its institutions have the responsibility to ensure the safety, security and dignified treatment of all citizens, including electoral candidates and their supporters, in line with national laws and Uganda’s international human rights commitments.

The statement went on to urge all political parties and electoral candidates to call upon their supporters to refrain from violence and inflammatory language, and to take firm action to end any provocation or incitement to violence or any unlawful action. All political parties, candidates and their supporters should ensure the full implementation of the COVID-19 Standard Operating Procedures and the relevant regulations designed to curb the spread of the virus.

The launch of a full and independent investigation into the events of 18th and 19th of November has been proposed, to ensure justice for victims and to avoid impunity for the perpetrators who must be held accountable for their actions.”

Continue Reading

East Africa Politics News

Uganda Jails Former Presidential Aspirant Three Years for Abusing Judges

Published

on

Ivan Samuel Ssebadduka, a former presidential aspirant in Uganda, has been jailed three years by the country’s Supreme Court for using abusive language against the judges, including calling them a “council of fools”.

The 36-year-old was jailed for contempt of court and will spend the next three years in Uganda Government Prison Kitalya.

Ssebadduka had in September filed a petition at the Supreme Court, seeking to stop a requirement for presidential aspirants to collect nomination signatures.

He also wanted the court to suspend the coronavirus safety restrictions issued by the health ministry on the conduct of campaign rallies.

He used the offensive remarks while defending the petition before the judges.

Chief Justice Alfonse Owinyi-Dollo was quoted as saying that criticism against judges should be accurate and fair, and should not infringe on the the rights of others.

On November 11, local media reported that Ssebadduka, a week after he was summoned by the Supreme Court to explain why he shouldn’t be found guilty for contempt of court after using abusive language against Judges, followed up with more insults. He described the Justices as incompetent, saying the accusations of contempt of court are baseless because the justices can’t challenge him legally.

“We didn’t offend you or you’re so-called Supreme Court because it is not a court in the first place. It is a Council of fools…” Ssebadduka’s response to the summons read in part.

He added, “It is very unfortunate that we entrust you with the judiciary because you don’t deserve to be judges. A judge must have judgment but it is very unfortunate that you don’t have common sense, which is common”, reads his response in part.

After the ruling, Ssebadduka was immediately handcuffed by security and driven to his next home of three years.

The Supreme court decision in Uganda is final as it is the last appellate court in the country, and unless the justices choose, for some reason, to review their decision or Ssebadduka gets a presidential pardon, he will be expected to serve his entire jail term.

Continue Reading

Trending