Connect with us

East Africa News

EU Says Aid Pact With Ethiopia Not Respected

Published

on

With at least 46,000 refugees fleeing to Sudan and more than 100,000 in Tigray, the European Union (EU) has said the agreement with the Ethiopian government isn’t respected.

The EU and the Ethiopian government agreed on a pace for the provision of humanitarian access but Europe says the Ethiopian government’s access is partial and is filled with bureaucracies.

Some children in Tigray are malnourished according to the EU, with Ethiopia claiming that the war is over.

However, leader of the Tigray People’s Liberation Front (TPLF), Debretsion Gebremichael has said that the claims made by the Ethiopian government are lies.

He accused the government of killing civilians in Mekelle, the Tigrayan capital which has over 500,000 people.

Ethiopia’s Prime Minister, Abiy Ahmed has said the top generals in the TPLF have been captured or killed.

Ethiopia is planning for an election in 2021 after its postponement in August.

The TPLF is dubbed a rebellious group by Mr Ahmed after they engaged government in armed conflicts for exactly a month now.

On the 4th of November, the Ethiopian government said its military base and state properties have been attacked, and it launched counteroffensives against the Tigrayan forces.

Ethiopia launched its final offensive last week when it claimed it has taken over Mekelle, without harming any civilian.

The TPLF has accused the Ethiopia and Eritrea of shelling Tigrayans and looting materials. Mr Ahmed has denied this.

Join our newsletter


Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

East Africa News

Cases of Sexual Violence Reported in Tigray – UN Envoy

Published

on

The United Nations (UN) has revealed that serious allegations of sexual violence are being reported in Tigray, northern Ethiopia.

Pramila Pattern, a Mauritian-British barrister and UN envoy on sexual violence in conflict, said the reports included a high number of alleged rapes in Mekelle, Tigray’s capital.

Ethiopian National Defense Force (ENDF) seized control of Mekelle from the Tigray People’s Liberation Front (TPLF) on 28 November after several weeks of fighting.

“There are also disturbing reports of individuals allegedly forced to rape members of their own family, under threats of imminent violence,” Ms Patten said in a statement.

“Some women have also reportedly been forced by military elements to have sex in exchange for basic commodities.

“While medical centres have indicated an increase in the demand for emergency contraception and testing for sexually transmitted infections (STIs) which is often an indicator of sexual violence in conflict.

“In addition, there are increasing reports of sexual violence against women and girls in a number of refugee camps.”

She called on those parties involved in the hostilities “to commit to a zero-tolerance policy for crimes of sexual violence”.

Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed launched a ground and air offensive on 4 November to oust the region’s ruling party, after its troops captured federal military bases.

He declared victory in Tigray after a month’s conflict, but fugitive TPLF leaders vowed to continue the fight.

Join our newsletter


Continue Reading

East Africa News

COVID-19: Kenya Airways Suspends Flights to 2 European Hubs

Published

on

Kenya Airways said on Friday it has suspended flights to two major European hubs following the introduction of new regulations as a result of a new variant of the coronavirus.

The Airline said the suspension of the flights is temporary.

The service suspension affects flights to France – Charles de Gaulle Airport and the Netherlands – Schiphol Airport through the month of February 2021.

“The temporary suspension is due to the new COVID-19 regulations in Europe that have resulted in depressed demand,” the airline said in a statement.

The airline expects to resume regular services to France on 3 March, 2021, and to the Netherlands on 7 March, 2021.

The airline said the resumption of the flights will be communicated. “We will keep customers updated in case of any changes to these resumption plans,” the airline added.

KQ said customers who had booked their flights to these two destinations, would be provided with alternative flight options.

Join our newsletter


Continue Reading

East Africa News

15-Day COVID-19 Lockdown: Rwanda Distributes Food to Vulnerable Families

Published

on

Following its decision to lockdown Kigali, its capital, the Rwanda authorities have begun the distribution of COVID-19 palliatives to vulnerable families in affected by the restriction.

News Central reports that the Rwandan government had, on Monday, imposed a 15-day lockdown on Kigali to curb the spread coronavirus after a surge in cases in the capital.

All movements outside homes require an approved permit from the police, except for essential service providers.

However, to help some 3,000 families – identified as the most vulnerable – cope with the lockdown the government is distributing food rations to households.

Local and international reports said that as of Thursday evening households have started receiving sacks of rice, maize flour and beans.

Some 3,000 families have been identified as the most vulnerable. The city has a population of about one million people.

There have been concerns that hundreds of thousands of residents who live hand to mouth would face hunger during the lockdown.

The authorities have assured that food will reach the most vulnerable, as well as poor Covid-19 patients being treated at home.

The rations were being delivered by volunteers who had tested negative before the programme started, city officials said.

A free phone line is available for requests from “those who want and merit the food aid to be delivered at their doorsteps”.

On Thursday Rwanda reported nine Covid-19 deaths, the highest daily fatalities so far, and 310 new cases.

Join our newsletter


Continue Reading

Trending