Connect with us

Southern Africa Sports

Ex-Proteas skipper still loyal to the course2 minutes read

Former South Africa Cricket captain, Faf Du Plessis remains dedicated to the Proteas despite terrible 2019

Published

on

Former South Africa Cricket captain, Faf Du Plessis says he is still dedicated to the Proteas course despite a terrible 2019 with the team.

According to Du Plessis, the 2019/2020 season was one of the most difficult seasons of his career.

“The season gone by is probably one of the toughest I had to face over my career because it had a lot of different elements to it that wasn’t just cricket” he said.

The ex-Proteas captain says he is ready for the new challenge ahead but admits he is still hurting from the team’s performance at the 2019 Cricket World Cup.

“I was up for the fight but the sheer amount of pressure that the India team put on us took us to a breaking point,” he acknowledged.

“It was obvious to me that as a Test team we weren’t near where we wanted to be.”

Du Plessis acknowledged that the Proteas were not moving forward under his leadership and feels his decision to vacate the position as captain after their Test Series defeat to England was right.

“The pressure really started pointing towards me and a lot of energy was pushed towards me, I just felt at the time that I had been fighting the good fight for the Proteas and I gave it my absolute everything,” Du Plessis said.

“After the Test series, I went away and that was when I thought it was the right time,” he added.

Du Plessis insists he is still committed to the Proteas.

“I have been a captain since the age of 13 and I’ve always looked at myself as a leader before a player,” he said.

“I enjoy that more than anything else so I will always miss it but I do think the time is right for me to move on to what will be a position of growing other leaders.

“This is something I have looked at as my real purpose in the next year for the Proteas to really get stuck in and grow guys and share my experience.”

Faf Du Plessis was test captain of the Proteas in December 2016, and assumed full-time captaincy in all formats of the game in August 2017.

Copyright News Central

All rights reserved. This post and other digital content on this website may not be reproduced, published, broadcasted, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from News Central.

Tell your story the right way

Have you witnessed a news worthy event? Want to become our citizen journalist and tell your own stories?

Send your stories to us or contact us via:
Email: Click to email us
Social media: Twitter and Facebook @NewsCentralTV
WhatsApp: Text or call +234 901 190 0000 .

New stories delivered to your phone

Click here to have news stories delivered to your phone or mail. You can also share your stories with us. Join our mailing list here.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Southern Africa Sports

New date announced for Nedbank Golf Challenge

The European Tour has rescheduled the Nedbank Golf Challenge for December at the Gary Player Country Club in Sun City South Africa

Published

on

The European Tour has rescheduled the Nedbank Golf Challenge at the Gary Player Country Club in Sun City South Africa from 3rd-6th December.

According to the organizers, the tournament‚ which is one of four rescheduled Rolex Series events‚ will remain as the penultimate event of the European Tour season. Regarded as “Africa’s Major”, it will be followed by the DP World Tour Championship in Dubai which will take place between December 10-13 at Jumeirah Golf Estates, where the 2020 Race to Dubai champion was set to be crowned.

The change in date now means the Nedbank Golf Challenge returns to its former spot on the calendar.

“I am so excited that a date has been set‚” tournament host Gary Player said in a statement. “It’s one of South Africa’s favourite sporting events. I’m sure the public will be as elated as I am.”

“The tournament does so much good for tourism and advertising our beautiful country. I’m eternally grateful for the European Tour and all our sponsors involved.”

Following the suspension of the season on March 8, the European Tour was set for a return to action behind closed doors in July, with a new UK Swing involving six tournaments being played in July and August. All European Tour tournaments will be subject to stringent safety and testing protocols.

Chief Executive of Nedbank Group, Mike Brown, said: “Despite the unprecedented challenges that we are currently facing in overcoming the Covid-19 pandemic, we trust the 40th anniversary of the Nedbank Golf Challenge – now back in its early December timeslot – will give millions of South Africans and sports fans around the world something very special to look forward to.

Our brand has become synonymous with ‘Africa’s Major’, a showcase of our country to the world and a household name in the world of golf having played host to the world’s leading golfers. As Nelson Mandela reminded us – Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. It has the power to unite people in a way that little else does.”

Copyright News Central

All rights reserved. This post and other digital content on this website may not be reproduced, published, broadcasted, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from News Central.

Tell your story the right way

Have you witnessed a news worthy event? Want to become our citizen journalist and tell your own stories?

Send your stories to us or contact us via:
Email: Click to email us
Social media: Twitter and Facebook @NewsCentralTV
WhatsApp: Text or call +234 901 190 0000 .

New stories delivered to your phone

Click here to have news stories delivered to your phone or mail. You can also share your stories with us. Join our mailing list here.

Continue Reading

Southern Africa Sports

Zimbabwe FA rules out pay cut for national team coach

Zimbabwe FA say Zdravko Logarusic will not be asked to take a pay cut despite the crippling effect of the coronavirus pandemic

Published

on

Zimbabwe Football Association (ZIFA) president Felton Kamambo has revealed that national team coach Zdravko Logarusic will not be asked to take a pay cut despite the crippling effect of the coronavirus pandemic.

ZIFA says they are still in a comfortable financial position to meet Logarusics’ monthly salary as per contract. Less than a month after he took over as the Warriors coach, football in the country went into lockdown.

Logarusic had earlier said he does not feel comfortable receiving his salary when he has not worked for it and wants international football to resume very soon.

Kamambo said the contract with expatriates should not be affected by footballs inactivity, but says it will be discussed when the board have their meeting.

The ZIFA president does not expect drastic decisions to be taken regarding Logarusic’s salary.

“We did our plan before hiring him so we will continue to pay our coach according to our contract. I am not expecting the board to make drastic charges on that.

“We are happy that for the first time the association is able to meet their financial obligations regarding the coach’s welfare. We don’t owe him any cent. We also don’t owe any of our staff members any money. ZIFA had gained notoriety for not paying coaches and at one time it even cost us a run in the World Cup qualifiers. But those are now things of the past. We have opened a new leaf as the association,” said Kamambo.

Kamambo also said ZIFA is trying to be transparent with its finances.

“We already have US$500 000 for the remaining six months. But we will not just spend because it was availed us a bit early. We will continue to operate the way we were doing so that by the time football returns we will be prepared to cater for all the national teams that have competitions that are currently on hold.

“We cannot have a situation where ZIFA are known as crybabies, seeking for resources at the eleventh hour every time. We have to (make a) budget and stick to that. So, the money we received will go to usual operations which include national teams travel, junior leagues as well as staff,” Kamambo said.

The ZIFA president said the COVID-19 relief package they requested from FIFA will be used to assist their affiliates.

“When the money comes, we will assist all our football affiliates. We will have a board meeting in two weeks’ time which will address all these issues related to the coronavirus and its effects on our game.”

ZIFA have provided $2 000 to each elite referee to help during these trying times, according to Kamambo, the funds were from savings in the organizations coffers in the first half of the year.

Copyright News Central

All rights reserved. This post and other digital content on this website may not be reproduced, published, broadcasted, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from News Central.

Tell your story the right way

Have you witnessed a news worthy event? Want to become our citizen journalist and tell your own stories?

Send your stories to us or contact us via:
Email: Click to email us
Social media: Twitter and Facebook @NewsCentralTV
WhatsApp: Text or call +234 901 190 0000 .

New stories delivered to your phone

Click here to have news stories delivered to your phone or mail. You can also share your stories with us. Join our mailing list here.

Continue Reading

Southern Africa Sports

Mogodi elected to Cricket South Africa board

The Council of Cricket South Africa have elected John Mogodi as a non-independent director to the Board of the CSA

Published

on

The Council of Cricket South Africa (CSA) has elected John Mogodi as a non-independent director to the Board of the CSA.

Mr. Mogodi is the president and chairman of the Board of Limpopo Impala Cricket.

“I am delighted to welcome Mogodi to the Board of CSA,” commented CSA Board chairperson Chris Nenzani.

“He has already made an important contribution to various Board sub-committees and he is highly experienced in the areas of cricket administration as well as financial and audit management.”

Mogodi fills the vacancy caused by the resignation of Jack Madiseng in December last year. Madiseng became the fourth member of Cricket South Africa’s Board of Directors and the first non-independent director to resign following the resignations of independent members; Shirley Zinn, Mohammed Iqbal Khan and Dawn Mokhobo.

In November 2019, Madiseng had written a letter to Cricket SA president Chris Nenzani and the body’s vice-president Beresford Williams in which he rebuked the pair for their failure to take responsibility for CSA’s woes and for leaving former CEO Thabang Moroe to take – as Madiseng put it – all the “klaps,” from the public and the players union, the SA Cricketers Association.

Mogodi is a qualified accountant from Pretoria University and served as a senior accountant at KPMG for three years before taking up his present position of accountant and project manager at Ditsie Financial Consultants. He serves on the Board of numerous companies and is currently a member of both the Audit and Risk Committee and the Finance and Commercial Committee of CSA.

Copyright News Central

All rights reserved. This post and other digital content on this website may not be reproduced, published, broadcasted, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from News Central.

Tell your story the right way

Have you witnessed a news worthy event? Want to become our citizen journalist and tell your own stories?

Send your stories to us or contact us via:
Email: Click to email us
Social media: Twitter and Facebook @NewsCentralTV
WhatsApp: Text or call +234 901 190 0000 .

New stories delivered to your phone

Click here to have news stories delivered to your phone or mail. You can also share your stories with us. Join our mailing list here.

Continue Reading

Trending