At least four people died and three were missing after a boat carrying dozens of tourists capsized under heavy storms in Senegal, authorities and emergency services said Tuesday.
The boat was carrying 24 Senegalese nationals, six French people, two Germans, two Swedes and one person from Guinea-Bissau, when it turned over in driving rain and a heavy swell, fire department chief Papa Angel Michel Diatta said.
The identities and nationalities of the victims are not yet known.
The boat was heading for the Madeleine islands, site of an offshore national park popular with tourists who travel from Dakar, coastal capital of the country.
Emergency services continued to look for those missing on Tuesday. Reporters saw a dozen divers at the scene.
Distressed families were waiting on the shore to get news of their loved ones.
“The gendarmerie called us at 5:00 am (GMT and local time). My brother was on the boat. The worst thing is not knowing,” said Aminata Diop, who was among the relatives on the beach.
There are “four dead bodies and between three and four people are missing. Thirty-five people were on the boat. Search and rescue operations are continuing this morning,” Interior Minister Aly Ngouille Ndiaye told reporters by telephone.
The causes of the accident were unclear. The interior minister told Senegalese media overnight that several tourists were worried about the heavy rains and wanted to return to the pier but others wanted to stay on the boat.
The survivors spent the night on the island, Ndiaye told local radio on Tuesday. Blankets and food were sent to them and they were to be ferried back to the mainland in the morning, he added.
The rainy season arrived late this year and heavy storms have resulted in several casualties this month.
Two fishermen were killed on their canoe in the same area nearly two weeks ago.
Nigerian police rescues over 300 pupils from another ‘torture house’
Katsina police chief Sanusi Buba told reporters in Daura that the young men were chained and tortured
Police in northern Nigeria said on Monday they rescued over 300 young men from an Islamic boarding school where they were chained and sexually abused, the second such operation in a month.
A police team raided the school in Daura in Katsina state after some students escaped from their hostel on Sunday and poured into the streets in protest.
Katsina police chief Sanusi Buba told reporters in Daura that the young men were chained and tortured.
“We learnt that the inmates here are over 300 and because of the inhuman treatments they are being subjected to they revolted yesterday (Sunday),” he said.
“Some of the inmates escaped while…about 60 of them stayed back,” he said, with most of them found in chains.
Buba said the school was established by 78-year-old Muslim cleric, Bello Mai Almajirai, 40 years ago. He later transferred management of the school to his son.
He said the school enrolled students brought by their families to learn the Koran and be treated for drug addiction and other ailments.
Daura which lies 70 kilometres from the state capital and near the border with Niger, is the hometown of President Muhammadu Buhari.
The students are from “various parts of Nigeria”, including Katsina state and neighbouring Niger Republic, said the police chief.
According to Buba, the abused inmates were “subjected to inhuman conditions,” with some of the students revealing that they were sodomised by their teachers.
Police will liaise with the state government to establish the identities of the young men and contact their families to return them home, he said.
Buba promised to arrest the proprietor and his teachers who managed to escape during the raid but will “face the full wrath of the law”.
Last month, police in nearby Kaduna state, freed more than 300 male students from a similar boarding school where they were chained, tortured and sexually abused.
A high rate of drug use and lack of rehabilitation facilities in northern Nigeria are forcing parents to enrol their children in informal reformatory Islamic schools where they are subjected to abuses.
Ivory Coast ex-President Gbagbo’s lawyer calls on ICC to free ex-leader
The ICC’s chief prosecutor has appealed the ruling alleging “legal and procedural errors”
The lawyer for former Ivory Coast President Laurent Gbagbo has asked the International Criminal Court to “immediately and unconditionally” release him after his acquittal over post-electoral violence that killed around 3,000 people.
Gbagbo, the first head of state to stand trial in The Hague, and his deputy Charles Ble Goude were both cleared of crimes against humanity in January and released under conditions the following month.
The ICC’s chief prosecutor has appealed the ruling alleging “legal and procedural errors”. Belgium agreed to host Gbagbo, 73, after he was released in February under conditions including that he would return to court for any prosecution appeal against his acquittal.
Ble Goude is living in the Netherlands under similar conditions.
Gbagbo’s lawyer Emmanuel Altit sent a 22-page letter to the ICC asking it to “immediately and unconditionally free Gbagbo … and to say that he is free to go wherever he wishes, for example his own country,” adding that he should be able to contest next year’s presidential election.
“Laurent Gbagbo could in effect, at the demand of political players in the country, be allowed to participate in the campaign … or even be a candidate,” said the letter, seen on Tuesday.
“Restrictions on his freedom could … prevent him from playing a role in the public life of his country and in reconciliation.”
Gbagbo faced charges on four counts of crimes against humanity over the 2010-2011 bloodshed which following a disputed vote in the West African nation.
Prosecutors said Gbagbo clung to power “by all means” after he was narrowly defeated by his rival – now president – Alassane Ouattara in elections in the world’s largest cocoa producer.
He and Ble Goude were tried over responsibility for murder, attempted murder, rape, persecution and “other inhumane acts” during five months of violence, both pleading not guilty. However, judges dismissed the charges, saying that the prosecution “failed to satisfy the burden of proof to the requisite standard.”
Against the backdrop of the Gbagbo controversy, Ivory Coast’s opposition are trying to mark out common ground ahead of next year’s presidential poll in which Ouattara, 77, has yet to confirm he is standing.
Fourth UN peacekeeper dies after Central Africa chopper crash
A fourth Senegalese UN peacekeeper has died in hospital after he was injured in a combat helicopter crash
A fourth Senegalese UN peacekeeper has died in hospital after he was injured in a combat helicopter crash in the Central African Republic two weeks ago, the UN said on Monday.
Three other Senegalese crew died when the Russian-made helicopter went down on September 27 in Bouar, in the western CAR, during a UN operation.
The Senegalese captain, badly wounded in the accident, died of his injuries on October 6, Mankeur Ndiaye, chief of the UN mission known as MINUSCA, said on Twitter.
The helicopter crew were part of a military operation against the 3R militia, one of several Central African armed groups, UN officials said.
The militia group is one of 14 that signed up to an eighth attempted peace agreement with the Central African government this year, but militias have breached the accord repeatedly.
One of the world’s poorest and most unstable nations, CAR has suffered several violent crises since 2003 when former president Francois Bozize seized power in a coup.
The country spiralled into bloodshed after Bozize was overthrown in 2013.
Fighting has since forced nearly a quarter of the country’s 4.5 million people to flee their homes and rival militia groups control most of the country.
Gabon’s Ali Bongo vows to “complete mission” despite health challenges
Landslide kills 22 in southern Ethiopia
Doctors in DR Congo to deploy second Ebola vaccine in November
Former South African President Jacob Zuma delays corruption trial with appeal
Police in South Africa march against gender-based violence on women
Fire outbreak in Quranic school kills 26 pupils and 2 teachers in Liberia
Kais Saied and Nabil Karoui to face off in Tunisia’s runoff election
Ake festival 2019: A festival of arts and books
4 killed, 3 missing from tourist boat accident in Senegal
Nigeria’s “Street Doctor”, Samson Shonowo provides free healthcare for the poor
A walk along the slave routes in Badagry
The #AfricaFirst Pledge with Adebola Afolabi (RezThaPoet)
United Nations #SDGs: A better world with Family planning
The #AfricaFirst Pledge with Efe Paul Azino
Harsh abortion sentences are putting Malagasy women at risk
Art1 week ago
Made in Africa: An African story written in leather by ZAAF
East Africa News1 week ago
Ethiopian Airlines Boeing 767 jet makes emergency landing in Dakar
Op-Ed6 days ago
“Sex for grades” – Another sad reminder of our failed education system (Opinion)
Politics1 week ago
Protesters stone police officer to death in Malawi
East Africa News1 week ago
Rwanda deports controversial US evangelist, Gregg Schoof
Art1 week ago
Nigeria’s apex bank partners Lagos on ₦22 billion national theatre renovation
East Africa News1 week ago
Rwanda arrests 5 suspects from Hutu militia based in DR Congo
Politics1 week ago
Nigerian President Buhari submits 2020 budget to legislature