Islamist militants allegedly kill 13 in raid on Congo villages

No fewer than 13 people have been killed during raids by suspected Islamist militants on two villages in eastern Congo, reports have said.

According to Reuters, which quoted the army and village chief, the raid was one of the latest in a spate of attacks the United Nations says may constitute war crimes.

The Allied Democratic Forces (ADF), a Ugandan armed group operating in North Kivu province in the Democratic Republic of Congo, have killed more than 1,000 civilians since the start of 2019, according to U.N. figures.

Militiamen tied up the victims in the villages of Kinziki-Matiba and Wikeno, 10 km east of the city of Oicha, before killing them in the attack on Friday afternoon, said Chui Mukalangirwa, a local village chief.

“We beg the authorities to put an end to this bloodbath,” he said.

Your Friends Also Read:  Nigeria Strengthens Cuban Ties in Coronavirus Vaccine Drive

The army helped civilians bury the bodies and is looking at deploying more units in the area, army spokesman Antony Mwalishayi said.

The ADF has operated in the dense forests near the Ugandan border for more than three decades. Late last year the Congo army launched a large-scale operation against them, sparking a violent backlash against civilians.

Several attacks attributed to the ADF have also been claimed by Islamic State, although researchers and analysts say there is a lack of hard evidence linking the two groups.

The insecurity has forced hundreds of thousands to flee their homes and complicated Congo’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic as well as an Ebola epidemic that has killed more than 2,200 people.

The Allied Democratic Forces (ADF), a Ugandan armed group operating in North Kivu province in Democratic Republic of Congo, have killed more than 1,000 civilians since the start of 2019, according to U.N. figures.

Your Friends Also Read:  July 2021 Unrest: President Ramaphosa to Appear Before SAHRC

Militiamen tied up the victims in the villages of Kinziki-Matiba and Wikeno, 10 km east of the city of Oicha, before killing them in the attack on Friday afternoon, said Chui Mukalangirwa, a local village chief.

“We beg the authorities to put an end to this bloodbath,” he said.

The army helped civilians bury the bodies and is looking at deploying more units in the area, army spokesman Antony Mwalishayi said.

The ADF has operated in the dense forests near the Ugandan border for more than three decades. Late last year the Congo army launched a large-scale operation against them, sparking a violent backlash against civilians.

Several attacks attributed to the ADF have also been claimed by Islamic State, although researchers and analysts say there is a lack of hard evidence linking the two groups.

Your Friends Also Read:  Moody’s: Zambia’s debt burden could exceed 75% of GDP this year

The insecurity has forced hundreds of thousands to flee their homes and complicated Congo’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic as well as an Ebola epidemic that has killed more than 2,200 people.


All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from News Central TV.

Contact: digital@newscentral.ng

Total
5
Shares

Leave a Reply

Previous Article

South Africa's coronavirus cases surpass 600,000

Next Article

Police rescue children locked in toilet in Abuja

Related Posts
Powered by Live Score & Live Score App