Kenya’s Ministry of Health has raised concerns on the laxity of some Kenyans in observing the coronavirus protection directives. This, the ministry, says will compromise the gains so far recorded in the fight against the virus.
Health Chief Administrative Secretary Rashid Aman specifically listed the public transport industry and registered complaints about overloaded vehicles.
Aman also raised concerns on market-place congestions where social and physical distancing is not being observed, while also sounding a note of warning to politicians against large gatherings.
“Our team noted that there is continued overloading of matatus and buses both in rural and in urban areas with no regard to the social and physical distancing required. Overcrowding in public places especially in marketplaces is becoming common with people not observing the social distancing rule,” Aman said.
With the COVID-19 cases now above 35,400 as at September 10th, Aman urged the public transport operators, politicians and Kenyans not to let down their guard because the virus is still active.
“These challenges are rolling back the gains we have made since we began fighting this pandemic. I want to urge our people and those in the public transport to cooperate with the government and not allow their vehicles to be the weak link in the fight against the virus. The more squeezed people are the easier it is to spread the virus,” Aman added.
On Wednesday, Kenya recorded 104 new COVID-19 cases, taking the country’s caseload to 35, 460.
New infections have significantly declined since the beginning of August 2020, although public health officials say it is due to lack of reagents for testing.
The Health Ministry has urged Kenyans to remain on high alert while warning that COVID-19 dangers remain imminent.
Kiplimo wins epic 3000m showdown in Rome Diamond League
Uganda’s athletics sensation Jacob Kiplimo proved that his recent great form is showing no signs of slowing down after he won the men’s 3000m race at the 2020 Golden Gala Pietro Mennea, Rome’s Diamond League track and field meeting on Thursday.
In a race billed as “The Battle of The Jacobs”, between the two 19-year-old sensations Jakob Ingebrigtsen, Norway’s 1500m European record holder and Uganda’s World Cross Country Championships silver medallist, both men faced off in an exciting 100m sprint finish. The Norwegian was clearly in the lead heading towards the line but Kiplimo caught him and pulled clear at the 60m mark to win in a time of 7.26.64. The time is a national record for Uganda, World lead and Diamond League record. It is also the fastest time since 2007.
Ingebrigsten finished second in 7:27.05, also a new Norwegian national record while Stewart McSweyn of Australia placed third with 7:28.02 earning a new Australian and Oceania record.
The only runners who have gone quicker at 3000m now are Daniel Komen with the world record of 7:20.67, Hicham El Guerrouj, Ali Saidi-Sief, Haile Gebrselassie, Noureddine Morceli, Kenenisa Bekele and Mohammed Mourhit.
The latter holds the European record after running 7:26.62 while representing Belgium, but some will now consider Ingebrigtsen the real record-holder due to Mourhit’s career being blighted by a drugs ban for taking EPO.
Kiplimo’s victory comes just a week after he upstaged Ethiopia’s Selemon Barega to win the 5000m race at the Golden Spike meet in Ostrava, Czech Republic with a personal best time of 12:48.63.
World record holder for the 5000m Joshua Cheptegei hailed his countryman.
“Huge congratulations to my colleague Jacob Kiplimo upon running the 6th fastest all-time over 3000m in Rome with a time of 7:26, running a world lead, national record, the future is indeed bright. Let’s carry this momentum unto next year’s Olympic games,” Cheptegei said.
Elsewhere, South Africa’s Akani Simbine broke the 10-second barrier as he raced to victory in the men’s 100m in 9.96 seconds ahead of Ivory Coast’s Arthur Cisse (10.04) and Filippo Tortu of Italy (10.9).
In the women’s 100m race, another Ivorian, Marie-Josee Ta Lou placed third with a season’s best 11.14 seconds. The race was won by Jamaica’s Elaine Thompson-Herah who ran a world-leading 10.85 seconds while American Aleia Hobbs finished second in 11.12 seconds.
Samatta hopes to inspire other Tanzanian footballers
Tanzanian international striker Mbawana Samatta hopes that his career can prove to be a source of inspiration and that many of his countrymen will follow him into the English Premier League.
The 27-year-old joined Aston Villa from Belgian Jupiler League side Genk on a four-and-a-half-year deal worth £10 million in January, becoming the first Tanzanian to play in the English Premier League following a scoring debut for Villa in a 2-1 loss to Bournemouth on February 1 2020.
“When I was starting my professional career, the ultimate goal I set myself was to play in England,” he said in a recent interview. “But more than a goal achieved, coming here was, above all, the realization of a dream. It’s a dream that a great many Tanzanian players pursue but one that had never been achieved before. I realize therefore how fortunate I am!”
“It’s a source of great personal pride, but I hope it can serve to help others,” he continued. “If I can succeed, then other Tanzanians can too. And if I can help them believe in themselves, so much the better!”
For Samatta, self-belief has been a key aspect of his success. His journey to the big stage of European football has not been without its obstacles, requiring him to show patience, perseverance and, above all, self-confidence. “Faith in God and faith in myself were the keys to my success,” he confirmed. “As well as that, there’s a lot of sacrifice, hard work, determination and discipline.”
The 27-year-old is already something of a legend in his homeland, having racked up 21 goals in 57 international appearances and playing a starring role in qualifying the Taifa Stars for the 2019 CAF Africa Cup of Nations, after a near 40-year absence.
“Qualifying for that tournament is certainly the best memory of my career to date, and there’ve been some wonderful ones,” he said, before adding: “It really was something special both for me and my country.”
However, Tanzania received a rude reintroduction to continental football at the finals in Egypt, where they suffered a first-round exit on the back of defeats to Senegal (2-0), Kenya (3-2) and Algeria (3-0). As captain, Samatta subsequently apologized to the fans and public on behalf of the team for letting them down. “I don’t want to dwell on that anymore. It’s behind us now and I’d rather look to the future,” he insisted, vowing, “we’ll make amends!”
The Taifa Stars have an immediate chance to redeem themselves. Not only are they in contention in the race to qualify for the AFCON 2021 in Cameroon (currently second in Group J behind Tunisia), they are very optimistic about a maiden FIFA World Cup™ appearance in 2022. After overcoming Burundi in the first round, they now find themselves alongside Congo DR, Benin and Madagascar in the group stage.
“If you look at where the national team was five years ago, this is not the same Taifa Stars. Enormous progress has been made. We’re developing slowly but surely,” he insisted. “I’m daring to believe that the rate of progress can be the same for the next five years with the best yet to come for the team.”
Would the ideal culmination of that progress be participation at Qatar 2022? “Yes, that would be the ultimate and would complete my footballing journey. There’d be nothing left after that but to retire,” he concluded with a laugh.
Gunmen Shoot Six Dead In Burundi
Six people were on Friday shot dead in the northern part of Burundi by unidentified gunmen, the regional governor has said.
The killings come weeks after a similar incident occurred in a southern province.
Remy Cishahayo, army colonel and governor of Kayanza province, said unidentified gunmen launched the attack on Thursday night from the Kibira forest and fled to the same area after the attack.
“They arrived at a small centre, … killed six people including two kids studying in primary school II and V,” Cishahayo confirmed on state-owned National Radio Television of Burundi.
The centre attacked on Thursday is near the forest. The forest in the past served as cover for the ruling CNDDFDD – The National Council for the Defence of Democracy, Forces for the Defence of Democracy party – during its rebellion.
Two people were wounded and are receiving treatment, while the attackers kidnapped one person, Cishahayo said.
“People should stay calm and united ensuring security together ” Cishahayo said, adding the situation has returned to normalcy.
In late August, gunmen attacked the district of Bugarama in the southern province of Rumonge, where at least 16 people died in shooting with security forces.
Red Tabara, a rebel group fighting Burundi’s government and based in the Democratic Republic of Congo, claimed responsibility for the attack.
Nigeria Reports 189 New COVID-19 Cases
Nine Die In South Africa’s Limpopo Road Accidents
If You Gossip Lucy To Me, I Would Expose You- Reality TV Star Warns Gossipers
Darey releases new single ‘Jojo’
Nigeria’s Awoniyi Joins Union Berlin On Loan
”I Didn’t Buy Airtel Vote to Support Kiddwaya” – Billionaire Terry Waya
Ivorian Singer, Eudoxie Yao Says She And Her Boyfriend Do Not Care About Physique
Nigerien Governor Visits Borno, Pledges Support in Fight Against Boko Haram
Ghanaian Pastor, Sylvester Ofori, Shoots Wife Dead In U.S
Ceec Opens Up On “Dating”
Art2 days ago
Aspiring US President; Joe Biden kneels In Front Of Ghanaian’s Actor; Don Little
Business News3 days ago
Nigeria’s NNPC Records ₦20.36Bn Trading Surplus In July
East Africa News2 days ago
Kiplimo wins epic 3000m showdown in Rome Diamond League
Featured2 days ago
Israel Adesanya signs historic Puma deal
News5 days ago
Malawi’s Ex-Information Minister, Henry Mussa, Denied Bail In Theft Case
North Africa3 days ago
Patrice Carteron leaves Zamalek for Saudi side Al Taawon
News3 days ago
Nigeria Discharges 3,442 COVID-19 Patients, Records 126 New Infections
Business News3 days ago
AfDB To Double Climate Change Financing For Africa