Despite a truce between the government and rebel factions, new clashes between M23 Rebels and security forces has broken out in the eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo.
According to local accounts, a large number of residents are alleged to have fled their homes as a result of the fighting between the army and M23 rebels on Tuesday.
“There is mass displacement towards the town of Mweso,” a resident told newsmen on Tuesday morning.
The military has not responded to the most recent combat, but a rebel spokesman claimed that government forces attacked their positions as they prepared to further evacuate in accordance with a deal struck in Luanda, the capital of Angola.
Last week in Davos President Félix Tshisekedi said the rebel group was not withdrawing but “moving around and redeploying to other areas”.
The rebels have accused President Tshisekedi of being more keen on “destroying the M23” instead of peacefully resolving the conflict.
According to the UN, since last year’s war began, more than 400,000 people have fled their homes.
Copyright: News Central TV
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from News Central TV.