Mali Begins Three-Day National Mourning Following Weekend Attacks

Mali Begins National Day of Mourning Following Weekend Attacks (News Central TV)
Assimi Goita, president of the National Committee for the Salvation of the People (CNSP) in Mali, is seen at the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) meeting in Accra, Ghana, on September 15, 2020, as part of several efforts to resolve the political crisis in Mali. (Photo by Nipah Dennis / AFP)

On Tuesday, the first of the three days of national mourning imposed by the government after assaults over the weekend that left dozens dead in the country’s heart, national flags of Mali were flown at half-mast in Bamako.

According to the authorities, rebels from the Katiba organisation attacked villages in the Bankass region on Saturday and Sunday, killing 130 civilians.

People who had moved away from the violent area claimed there was no rule of law there in the capital’s streets.

“We live without law. It’s every man for himself, it is the law of the strongest. The population sees what is happening, but they can’t do anything about it,” said Amadou Kassambala who left his hometown Kourientze, (in Mopti) to work as street seller in Bamako.

Your Friends Also Read:  Business Edge | EU Seeks New Trade Partnership With Africa

The attacks demonstrate how violence associated with insurgency is moving from northern Mali to locations farther south, including Bankass.

The route connecting Mopti and the northern city of Gao has been blocked for several weeks by Islamist rebels in central Mali.

The regions attacked over the past weekend include those that signed local peace accords with several armed groups deemed terrorists, such Macina Katiba, said security analyst Baba Dakono.

According to Dakono, the director of the Citizen’s Observatory on Governance and Security, even though those accords were not universally embraced, they have helped to maintain some measure of peace in the area.

Your Friends Also Read:  U.N. Security Council Calls For Ceasefire in Sudan

“The resurgence of tension is perhaps linked to the expiration today of these local agreements, but also can be linked to the intensification of military operations by the defense forces that may be putting an end to the dialogue process that had been initiated by the Malian authorities since 2019,” he said.

In attacks in central and northern Mali since the year’s beginning, several hundred civilians have perished.

According to a study by the human rights division of the U.N. mission in Mali, known as MINUSMA, both Islamic rebels and the Malian army are to responsible for the attacks.


All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from News Central TV.
Your Friends Also Read:  Libyan PM Says Government to Continue Functioning Until Elections

Contact: digital@newscentral.ng

Total
0
Shares

Leave a Reply

Previous Article
Prince Charles Pays Tribute to Genocide Victims in Rwanda (News Central TV)

Prince Charles Pays Tribute to Genocide Victims in Rwanda

Next Article
Nigeria 2023: INEC Agrees to Extend Voter Registration (News

Nigeria 2023: INEC Agrees to Extend Voter Registration 

Related Posts
Powered by Live Score & Live Score App