Former Mali Prime Minister, Boubou Cisse, has been charged by the West African country’s office of the public prosecutor for allegedly attempting to organize a coup in August.
Charged alongside Cisse, whose whereabouts remain unknown, are a popular radio host, Mohamed Youssouf Bathily – known as “Ras Bath”; Vital Robert Diop, director-general of a betting group; two senior officials of the public treasury and the deputy director of a public finance agency.
The public prosecutor said that the six were under investigation for “plotting against the government, criminal association, insulting the head of state and complicity.”
The five accused had been detained since 21 December.
Cisse previously denied all accusations against him.
The secretary of the president’s office, Sekou Traore, who holds the ranks of a minister and magistrate, has also been detained as part of the investigation, but was later released. His case was referred to the Supreme Court.
Cisse was serving as prime minister at the time of the August 18 military coup, which led to the resignation of then President Ibrahim Boubacar and the dissolution of the parliament.
On September 12, the military rulers appointed former Defence Minister Ba N’Daou as the transition president and formed the interim government set to rule for 18 months until elections are held.
Uganda Election: Military Raid Opposition Party Offices; Continue Seige on Bobi Wine’s House
Joel Ssenyonyi, the spokesman for Uganda’s biggest opposition party, National Unity Platform (NUP), has accused the military of raiding offices where agents were gathering material for an election petition.
Ssenyonyi said the party was in the process of collecting election results forms that show evidence of irregularities in Thursday’s election.
“Each presidential candidate is provided with the declaration results form, why doesn’t he want to present the DR forms that were given to us by his electoral commission?”, Ssenyonyi questioned.
The opposition said they had photos and video evidence too.
“Museveni knows we have those things that is why he is shutting down the internet; he doesn’t want us to put those things out there for the whole of Uganda and the international community to realise how much of a fraudster he is,” he said.
This accusation comes as soldiers continued a siege on the house of Robert Kyagulanyi, the NUP’s presidential candidate in the January 14th election.
Kyagulanyi, a former reggae musician known as Bobi Wine, in a tweet on Monday, said the military had also cordoned off the NUP office premises.
“Heavily armed military and police have once again raided our party offices in Kampala,” he tweeted.
“No one allowed to go in or come out. Museveni after committing the most vile election fraud in history, has resorted to the most despicable forms of intimidation.”
President Yoweri Museveni – who first assumed power when Bobi Wine, now 38, was just four years old – won a contentious sixth term in office after polling 58.6 per cent of the vote.
Opposition parties said the election was fraudulent but Museveni, 76, has denied reports of irregularities, insisting that the poll could be the “most cheat-free” in the history of the African nation.
The EU, United Nations and several rights groups have raised concerns. Aside from an African Union mission, no major international group monitored the vote.
Morgan Ortagus, the spokesman for the U.S. State Department, also said those found culpable of election irregularities should be held accountable.
The department condemned “the continuing attacks on political candidates” and urged the government to “respect their human rights and fundamental freedoms, including the freedom of expression”.
On Sunday, Bobi Wine whose house was surrounded by security forces said – in a tweet – his family had run out of food.
He wrote, “It’s now four days since the military surrounded our home and placed my wife and I under house arrest. We have run out of food supplies and when my wife tried to pick food from the garden yesterday, she was blocked and assaulted by the soldiers staged in our compound.”
Nigerian Soldiers Kill 35 Bandits Terrorising Kastina, Zamfara
Anti-banditry troops of the Nigerian Army have neutralised 35 armed bandits and recovered unspecified number lovestock.
The Nigerian Defence Headquarters has announced that thirty-five bandits have been neutralised and suspects arrested by troops in Katsina and Zamfara States.
The Coordinator, Defence Media Operations, Major General John Enenche disclosed this in a statement on Monday.
“Following credible intelligence on movement of armed bandits with rustled animals at Bungudu LGA of Zamfara State, troops of Forward Operating Base Kekuwuje yesterday 17 January 2021, responded immediately and made contact with bandits.
“In the course of the encounter 30 armed bandits were neutralised while 24 cows and an unspecified number of sheep were recovered.
“Similarly, on the same day, troops deployed at Maradun received information of reprisal attack by armed bandits at Janbako village in Maradun LGA of Zamfara State.
The anti-banditry operation was conducted by troops of Forward Operating Base Kekuwuje sequel to credible intelligence on movement of armed bandits with rustled animals in the area.
The soldiers moved swiftly to the area on receiving information of retaliation attack by armed bandits in order to forestall the attack.
The gallant troops overwhelmed the bandits around Janbako village and killed 5 of them, while others escaped with gunshot wounds. The soldiers are currently on the trail of the fleeing bandits.
Also, two suspected bandit collaborators were arrested at Dungun Muazu village in Sabuwa LGA of Katsina State.
Earlier in the month, troops of Operation Hadarin Daji killed about 50 armed bandits in Kuriya village of Kaura Namoda LGA of Zamfara State following reliable intelligence.
Four soldiers sustained severe injuries during the encounter while over 334 livestock were recovered from the bandits around Dunya village of Danmusa LGA of Katsina State.
As part of its efforts to check banditry, the Nigerian Army on Thursday December 24 raided a criminal den in Zamfara and also recovered several ammunitions.
Major General Enenche reiterated that the Armed Forces of Nigeria and other security agencies will sustain the offensive against saboteurs and bandits until normalcy is restored in troubled zones.
Egypt’s PM to Deliver Statement on Policy Programme on Monday
Gibali also indicated that the summoning of the prime minister was in line with Article 136 of the country’s constitution, as well as articles 26 and 27 of the parliament’s internal bylaws.
Egyptian Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly will visit parliament on Monday to deliver a statement on the implementation of his government’s two-year-old “Egypt Kicks Off” programme, parliamentary sources announced on Sunday.
Sources said Prime Minister Madbouly’s visit comes after Parliament Speaker Hanafi Gibali announced on Sunday that the house decided to summon Madbouly and other cabinet ministers to deliver statements and respond to questions on the implementation of the so-called “Egypt Kicks Off” programme.
Sources also said that the Ministers of Local Development, and Supply and Internal Trade, Mahmoud Shaarawi and Ali Al-Moselhi respectively, are also expected to appear at the parliament on Monday to deliver statements on the implementation of the programme.
Minister of Higher Education Khaled Abdel-Ghaffar and Minister of Information Osama Heikal will also come on Tuesday, to explain the role of their ministries in implementing the “Egypt Kicks Off” programme.
Minister of Education Tarek Shawki and Minister of International Cooperation Rania El-Mashat will make an appearance to deliver statements on Wednesday.
Minister of Youth and Sports Ashraf Sobhi and Minister of Public Enterprise Hesham Tawfik will deliver statements are expected to deliver their own statements on Thursday.
Speaker Gibali indicated that all cabinet ministers will be at the parliament to explain the role of their ministries in implementing the “Egypt Kicks Off” programme. “Two cabinet ministers will come per day to deliver statements on the programme,” said Gibali.
On Sunday, Gibali recalled that in July 2018 the government of Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly delivered its policy statement before parliament, vowing to implement the “Egypt Kicks Off” programme.
“This programme opened the doors for the government to win the confidence of parliament, but after two years, the parliament’s general committee noted that the implementation of the programme fell short of expectations and is full of shortcomings and negative points,” said Gibali.
Gibali also indicated that the summoning of the Egyptian Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly, was in line with Article 136 of the country’s constitution, as well as articles 26 and 27 of the parliament’s internal bylaws.
“In its review of the Egypt Kicks Off programme between July 2018 and June 2020 and how much the government is committed to implementing it, the committee noted that there are many shortcomings and negative points, and so it recommends that the prime minister and other concerned cabinet ministers be summoned to attend a number of sessions to answer questions on the progress of the implementation of the programme,” the parliament’s general committee said.
Egyptian Prime Minister Mostafa Madboulyin 2018, delivered the ‘Egypt Kicks Off’ programme before parliament, one month after the cabinet’s appointment.
Madbouly vowed at the time that the government would boost economic development in Egypt, reinforce Egypt’s national security, implement intensive social protection programmes, raise productivity rates, and improve the standard of living of poor citizens.
Madbouly said, “we will create a job for every poor citizen as long as he is able to work, but if he is living below the poverty line and it’s hard for him to work, we will do our best to take care of him.”
Reality TV Stars Lucy and Kaisha Allegedly Assaulted by Nigerian Policemen
Coffins Dating Back 3000Years Discovered for the First Time in Egypt
Uganda Election: Military Raid Opposition Party Offices; Continue Seige on Bobi Wine’s House
Bandits Kill Four Police Officers in Kaduna, Nigeria
Rwanda Closes Schools in Capital Following Surge in COVID-19 Cases
Semhal Meles, Daughter of Ethiopia’s Ex-PM, Arrested in Tigray
Researchers Reveal Pros And Cons Of COVID-19 Vaccine
Tanzania to Auction 30 ‘Tourist Hunting Blocks’ in Game Reserves, Other Areas
Mali Seizes 143kg Of Gold Enroute To Guinea
Somali Police Spokesman, Sadiq Adan Ali Dodishe, Survives Bomb Attack
Boosting Africa’s Revenue | The Remittances and Taxation Conversation
China’s Belt and Road Initiative | Is Debt Slowing China’s Advancement?
3rd Mainland Bridge | Rehabilitation Work Nears Completion.
Crude Oil | OPEC Battles to Avoid Glut As Price Rises Above $50
World Bank’s Global Economic Prospects For January 2021
East Africa Politics News4 days ago
Ethiopia’s Former Foreign Minister, Seyoum Mesfin, Killed in Battle
East Africa News3 days ago
Seychelles Reopens to Tourists Who Have Received Covid-19 Vaccine
Health2 days ago
COVID-19 Vaccines to Arrive Nigeria, Other Countries in February – Okonjo-Iweala
West Africa Business News2 days ago
Heirs Holdings Acquires 45% of OML 17 from Shell, Total, ENI
East Africa Politics News3 days ago
Bobi Wine Rejects Preliminary Presidential Election Results
News3 days ago
#UgandaDecides2021: Museveni Leads in Preliminary Results
Lifestyle News4 days ago
Nigerian Billionaire Businessman, Bolu Akin-Olugbade, Dies of COVID-19
News5 days ago
Trump Makes History Once Again, Impeached For ‘Inciting’ Capitol Riots